"Yosemite National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park by acemj
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide: 1,506 reviews and 3,469 photos
I lived in California back in the late '80s and early '90s and never made it to Yosemite, so when my friend Gina and I were trying to decide what to do with a couple extra days on a visit to San Francisco, my vote was solidly for this magnificent park. Our two days here were certainly not enough to get a sense of the whole place, but we were able to see some of the park's highlights . . . and what a highlight reel it is!
Most visitors come and see the Valley Floor, a cavernous shoot of green meadows and splashing water framed by giant walls of granite. At first sight, you'll be knocked back on your heels and speechless. Pictures, in fact, do not come close to conveying the scale of this place. It is simply staggering. The monolithic grandeur of El Capitan and Half Dome must be given the respect of your presence before they reveal themselves to you completely. You must stand beneath them, eyeing a lone tree or a man hiking along a path nearby as a reference point, to truly appreciate their towering, timeless qualities.
I am told that during the peak summer months that the automobiles swarming the Valley Floor can make it resemble Fifth Avenue in New York more than an oasis of natural perfection, but don't let that dissuade you from venturing here. We visited in early June during the week and the crowds were really quite small, the weather brilliant and the sights inspiring. Even during July and August, you can escape the crowds by moving outside of the Valley and into the more remote points in the park.
There are over 760,000 acres to explore here, the vast majority of which remind us of our relative size in this world. We are but a microscopic dot on the map, but spending time in places of such enduring beauty can be nourishing and we often discover strength inside our tiny selves to return to our daily lives as conquerors, or at the very least, as larger men.
With grand views all around and plenty of trails of all difficulty levels, Yosemite National Park is a fantastic place... more travel advice
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The... more travel advice
- See All Mariposa Grove
- See All Photography
- Lots of choices
- The Valley Floor
- See All Basic food storage tips
acemj's Related Pages
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Incomparable Valley (and Park)"
- "Yosemite in a day"
- "On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite"
- "Yosemite National Park"
- "Yosemite is Perhaps the Prettiest Park in the USA"
- "The Glacial Beauty of Yosemite National Park"
- "As Good As It Gets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yosemite National Park
- Hotels in Yosemite National Park
- Transportation in Yosemite National Park
- Nightlife in Yosemite National Park
- Restaurants in Yosemite National Park
- Shopping in Yosemite National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yosemite National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yosemite National Park
- 37 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Yosemite National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yosemite National Park
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Hair Salon near Center"
- updated a Yosemite National Park Travel Page "Yosemite National Park"
- Commented on one of girladventure's Yosemite National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Yosemite Rocks"
- Wrote a Review Hiking Yosemite in Yosemite National Park Local Customs
Photos in Yosemite National ParkSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos