"Bratislava - Proud to play second fiddle" Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava by acemj

Bratislava Travel Guide: 2,032 reviews and 4,537 photos

When I quit my job in Charlotte, North Carolina in May of 2004, I knew that I would have a month to travel. My plan was to go see my family in Philadelphia and then to take off for Germany and Austria to relax and explore the mountain scenery of the region. However, after spending a couple weeks traveling around on efficient Austrian trains, hiking around Alpine peaks overlooking spectacular lakes and sipping coffee in ornate cafes, I decided that I should venture off the beaten path a bit to Slovakia.

On my way to Vienna, I decided to keep going another hour and a half to Bratislava, the second city of the former Czechoslovakia. Today it is the capital of the relatively new Slovakia (independent since 1993) and is emerging as an increasingly appealing travel destination.

I was immediately bewitched by the simple charms of the place. The train station that greeted me was older and a little rougher looking than the ones in Germany and Austria, but a few glances around revealed that the lack of frills seemed to be keeping most of the tourists away and that is always strangely thrilling to me.

I was only here for a couple days, but it was enough to get a sense of the place and for me to know that I enjoyed the authenticity of the city. It's a place that has long been accustomed to playing second fiddle to Prague and that lesser- known status has somehow given Bratislava a more relaxed and down to earth feeling. The lack of McDonald's-style commercialism is refreshing, but I have a feeling it will only last for so long. Bratislava's anonymity is becoming a thing of the past, so if you're interested in spending time in an unpretentious, affordable and rewarding travel spot, get there as soon as you can.

• Last visit to Bratislava: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 18, 2005

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Interesting page. We want go to Bratislava soon :)

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2007 at 3:13 AM

This page was good background for a possible coming trip to Bratislava: interesting and well presented.

• jflooking's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 2:01 AM

pigeon=holub pheasant=bazant

• summer26's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2006 at 2:37 AM

quite funny to read your tip...this is not a classic english scone but a traditional slovak ´scone´made of fried pieces of lard:) so i suppose it tasted a little different from what u are used to:)

• chbuchie's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2005 at 3:16 AM

Im flying to Budapest tomorrow & will stop by Bratislava a few days later, your pages are great, together with the forum replies helped me so much to prepare my trip , I cant wait to be there & will surely add my pix afterwards....

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 1:10 AM

Good job you made creating this page! I hope to see this place sooner or later!

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2005 at 10:13 PM

Charming little town, quite the unexplored heaven ... wonderful read, Mark. The worn out buildings and the cobblestone streets look fascinating.

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 7:18 AM

such a pleasure to read your interesting info! the pictures too, are great! elisabeth

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 1:34 PM

Couldnt help but laugh Mark at your sleeping arrangements :-) I particularly liked the building the clock museum was housed in, and I like the contrast of all the buildings even the drab ones, makes it more interesting, Thanks a fantastic page

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2005 at 4:57 AM

Looks great :)

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Bratislava

Have you been to Bratislava?

Latest Activity in Bratislava