"Bratislava - Proud to play second fiddle" Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava by acemj
Bratislava Travel Guide: 2,019 reviews and 4,555 photos
When I quit my job in Charlotte, North Carolina in May of 2004, I knew that I would have a month to travel. My plan was to go see my family in Philadelphia and then to take off for Germany and Austria to relax and explore the mountain scenery of the region. However, after spending a couple weeks traveling around on efficient Austrian trains, hiking around Alpine peaks overlooking spectacular lakes and sipping coffee in ornate cafes, I decided that I should venture off the beaten path a bit to Slovakia.
On my way to Vienna, I decided to keep going another hour and a half to Bratislava, the second city of the former Czechoslovakia. Today it is the capital of the relatively new Slovakia (independent since 1993) and is emerging as an increasingly appealing travel destination.
I was immediately bewitched by the simple charms of the place. The train station that greeted me was older and a little rougher looking than the ones in Germany and Austria, but a few glances around revealed that the lack of frills seemed to be keeping most of the tourists away and that is always strangely thrilling to me.
I was only here for a couple days, but it was enough to get a sense of the place and for me to know that I enjoyed the authenticity of the city. It's a place that has long been accustomed to playing second fiddle to Prague and that lesser- known status has somehow given Bratislava a more relaxed and down to earth feeling. The lack of McDonald's-style commercialism is refreshing, but I have a feeling it will only last for so long. Bratislava's anonymity is becoming a thing of the past, so if you're interested in spending time in an unpretentious, affordable and rewarding travel spot, get there as soon as you can.
Outside of the Old Town, I noticed that the architectural gems are few and far between. Standing on a hill or in a... more travel advice
If you're facing the Old Town Hall standing in the Main Square (Hlavne Namestie), the adjacent square just to your left... more travel advice
- None . . . yet
- Not too off the beaten path
- You're being watched! ;-)
- See All Top choice for the big spenders
acemj's Related Pages
Bratislava Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vitajte v Bratislave !"
- "Bratislava - My Hometown"
- "Bratislava - Gateway to the Little Carpathians"
- "Bratislava - Proud to play second fiddle"
- "Bratislava - The smallest big city"
- "Bratislava - cozy and small capital of Slovakia"
- "Bratislava - The Beauty on the Danube"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bratislava
- Hotels in Bratislava
- Transportation in Bratislava
- Nightlife in Bratislava
- Restaurants in Bratislava
- Shopping in Bratislava
- Warnings and Dangers in Bratislava
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bratislava
- 41 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Bratislava?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bratislava
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Hair Salon near Center"
- updated a Bratislava Travel Page "Bratislava - Proud to play second fiddle"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bratislava - Proud to play second fiddle"
- Wrote a Review Architecture in Bratislava Favorites
- Commented on one of Vlasta's Bratislava travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos