"Munich" Top 5 Page for this destination Munich by acemj

Munich Travel Guide: 4,361 reviews and 10,171 photos

The situation . . .

The capital of Bavaria is one of Germany's most popular cities to visit. For me, visiting Munich was part of a trip that took me through the Austrian lake district to Vienna and all the way to Bratislava, Slovakia. I had just quit my job in Charlotte, North Carolina and was planning a move to Philadelphia when I decided to give myself a break before starting a new job and moving to a new city.

Flying into Munich proved to be the easiest way to begin my trip and it just so happened that it was a German city that I had somehow missed in my previous travels. To top it off, it was also an opportunity to meet two of my favorite VTers, richiecdisc (Richie) and DoreenDe (Doreen).

The city . . .

Munich did not disappoint. It offers a unique experience of Bavarian culture, rich architectural gems, wonderful arts and, of course, it is arguably the beer capital of the world. Despite the grand architecture, wide boulevards and famous museums, the city has a laid back feel that makes it very approachable and welcoming (or maybe that was just my buzz making me feel mellow . . . ).

The lovebirds . . .

The highlight of my trip to Munich was meeting and hanging out with Richie and Doreen. They were very generous with their time and a pleasure to get to know as real-life friends. If you don't already know, Richie is a walking beer dictionary who has combined his love for hops and barley with travel to make some of the best pages on Virtual Tourist. And Doreen is now his other true love. I like to think of her as the fine wine to Richie's down-to-earth, malty goodness. ;-)

• Last visit to Munich: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2005

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Happy Birthday, bro. That malty goodness will be residing in Munich this time next week. Hop (;)) to see you there.

• geenagee's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Hi Mark! I enjoyed going through your site. It's very well written. I will be going to Munich for a business meeting in July. However I would like to go a few days earlier to be able to do some sightseeing so reading your page was truly helpful. Have fun!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2005 at 12:20 PM

Great page Mark, I can't wait to try the beer and sausage breakfast.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 2:36 PM

Yes, Munich really is a great bicycle town. Too bad I'll be sitting indoors all next weekend. Sounds like you had a great time in Munich. I like your tips and photos.

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 4:08 AM

I will be in Munich this weekend for the international boardshow at ISPO. Great info and pictures to give me a heads up on the place. Cheers.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2005 at 10:30 AM

Excellent page! I must visit Schloss Nymphenburg, better before beer tour I see :-)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2004 at 5:49 AM

Great pictures, good tips--thinking about the same route next summer-Munich, Austria, Bratislava! Your page helps move the process along.

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2004 at 12:23 PM

In Munich, beer is a religion... they even call it "mass"!!!! LOL Great page as usual, Mark, altough I feel my blood alcohol level has rised!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2004 at 6:03 AM

good to see, that you had a great time in Munich, Mark ! ...Next time you should definitely come for Oktoberfest !

• SirRichard's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2004 at 2:37 AM

Complete and accurate as usual, Mark! I was in Munich 2 days, but it was Oktoberfest, so I don't remember much, LOL!! BTW, thanx for the postcard :-)

acemj