"Torun . . . a pleasant discovery" Top 5 Page for this destination Torun by acemj

Torun Travel Guide: 251 reviews and 496 photos

When I first looked at the map of Poland, going all the way up to Gdansk on the Baltic coast intrigued me, but stopping along the way didn't enter my mind. It wasn't until a couple VT members suggested it that I decided to stop in Torun (thanks gosia78 and matcrazy1!).

My trip here is just another example of why this website is great. I discovered a place that I never would have found. And what a place!

Torun is a charming town with a well-preserved Old Town full of beautiful architecture and since 1997 it has been on the Unesco World Heritage List. Imposing brick facades and decorative Baroque facades surround you as you stroll around in the birthplace of Nicolaus Copernicus.

It's about equidistant to Warsaw and Gdansk - far enough that it doesn't make too much sense as a day trip, but interesting enough to spend at least one night. If you're headed up to the Baltic Coast and have an extra 24 hours or so, consider spending it munching on gingerbread and admiring the Old Town of Torun.

• Last visit to Torun: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 19, 2005

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Simply great page! Would love to visit it in Poland :) I hope you are doing well! Greetings!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2006 at 10:39 PM

I always wonder how places that have been so often and so severely hit by wars can have kept so much of their past. Older building must have been very strongly built!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 5:11 PM

Such beautiful architecture...and then there is all that talk about pastries and crepes....oh, my. Looks like a winner.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 11:11 AM

The dog's name is Fafik. Fafik and his master Prof. Filutek were the characters from the comic which appeared regularly for more than fifty years in one of Polish magazines. Z. Lengren, their creator, spent his youth in Torun.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2005 at 6:37 PM

Enjoyed seeing Torun--our family came from Poland, I believe at the turn of the century...I know very little about it...so sad.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2005 at 6:04 AM

Perfect page of great town, I like a lot. Gotyk Hotel (I stayed there once) needs reservation in advance in summer weekends.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 5:32 PM

Nice page! I especially enjoyed the restaurant tip.

acemj