"The World Spins in Circles" Amsterdam by acemj
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,196 reviews and 21,353 photos
There is something mesmerizing about the concentric canals of Amsterdam. As you stroll along their edges, you almost feel as if you are being pulled into the city itself, as if you are slowly becoming a part of it. While it is certainly not the most authentically Dutch city in the Netherlands, Amsterdam is undoubtedly charming. The tacky souvenir stores selling mini windmills and wooden shoes do nothing to diminish the smell of aged Gouda in the air. Turn down another street and you'll smell tulips, hear the splash of the canals and see impressive surviving examples of the Golden Age of architecture.
Amsterdam is very accessible as are its citizens. The inescapable sight of locals biking around make it feel like a big neighborhood and not a big city. I'd recommend walking as much as possible in order to really soak up the atmosphere. Distances are not too great and there's always something interesting to see along the way.
Amsterdam is well-known for its sex and drugs and for attracting the grungy, backpacking crowds that only barely resemble the hippies that once made it the capital of European Free Love. The city is still known for being very liberal and accepting toward tourists seeking these kinds of enticements, but what I noticed more than that, was the cosmopolitan nature of the place. The city is at once small, walkable and charming and at the same time is extremely educated, multilingual, and global in perspective. It's hard to run into too many people who don't speak English and there are great ethnic restaurants all around town. Historical preservation efforts have made many of the old buildings glow again and the local business community is attracting investments from all over the world. In short, things are happening in Amsterdam and visiting really made me feel like I was a part of a city that has really hit its stride . . . or I should say, a city whose wheels are always spinning.
Make sure you bring a rain jacket and comfortable shoes for walking since Amsterdam is easy to explore on foot and the... more travel advice
Make sure you try a Pannekoeken, which is the Dutch version of a pancake. It's actually more like a French crepe, except... more travel advice
- See All Great architecture
- See All Not for the faint of heart
- The king of the internet spot
- See All Take the train
acemj's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 40 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Hair Salon near Center"
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "The World Spins in Circles"
- Commented on one of JetlagCity's Amsterdam travel pages
- Wrote a Review Various suggestions about Comfortable Shoes in Amsterdam What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "The World Spins in Circles"
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos