Dubrovnik Shopping Tips by acemj Top 5 Page for this destination
Dubrovnik Shopping: 26 reviews and 22 photos
When you're in the Old Town, make sure you don't spend all of your time on Stradun. Sure, many people have called it the most beautiful street in the world. Sure, it's lined with great cafes and shops. Sure, it begins with a beautiful monastery and ends with a great square with a Venetian-style palace and a beautiful church. But make sure you venture off of Stradun and explore the streets that run parallel to it, particular on the side closest to the water. There are plenty of good shops to keep you busy here.
I arrived in Dubrovnik with some injuries suffered in Split after getting mugged. As a result, I spent more time at cafes and bars just simply relaxing, writing, people-watching, talking to locals and reading. I stopped at this bookstore along the main street in Old Town called Stradun. My sister had told me about this great book by Ann Patchett, called Bel Canto, so when I saw it on the shelf, I bought it. The book is great for travelers and music lovers alike and is really a good read.
Algoritam has the best English language selection in town and you shouldn't have any trouble finding various travel guides or just some good pleasure reading. I paid 70kn for the paperback.
Address: Placa 8, along Stadun
Whenever I go to an new city, I make it a point to try to go to a local market. In Dubrovnik, I saw two, although there are probably more than that. The first one that I came across was one bus stop away from the main bus station (in the direction towards the port). It was in the afternoon on a weekday and there were plenty of folks milling about checking out the fresh foods for sale.
The other market is in the Old Town in a square called Gunduliceva poljana. This one is characterized by mostly old-timers selling their fresh vegetables, olive oils and other goods. Everything was clearly fresh and it was interesting to see the very homemade packaging that some of the items were sold in.
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (54)
- See All Great, if only they had a license!
- See All War wound
- See All Okay, my fondest memory . . .
- VT is a trap!!
- See All Franciscan monastery
- See All Test your manhood
acemj's Related Pages
Dubrovnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBROVNIK , the Pearl of Croatia"
- "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- "Dubrovnik - Ragusa"
- "Divine Dubrovnik"
- "Unavoidable Dubrovnik"
- "A Lovely Village Inside a Wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubrovnik
- Hotels in Dubrovnik
- Transportation in Dubrovnik
- Nightlife in Dubrovnik
- Restaurants in Dubrovnik
- Shopping in Dubrovnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubrovnik
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pagosa Springs Hotels
- French Creek
- Red Lodge
- Begnas Tal Hotels
- Cilandak Hotels
- Bapong Hotels
Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik
- 57 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Dubrovnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubrovnik
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Hair Salon near Center"
- Commented on one of bonaventura's Dubrovnik travel pages
- updated a Dubrovnik Travel Page "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- Wrote a Review Great, if only they had a license! about Cervantes Tapas Bar in Dubrovnik Nightlife
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (120)
Latest Dubrovnik hotel reviews
- Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
- 580 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- YHA Dubrovnik
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 16, 2013
- Hotel Ariston
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Villa Katarina
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Hotel Splendid
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Hotel Pucic Palace
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Villa Dubrovnik
- 222 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Grand Villa Argentina Dubrovnik
- 457 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel Argosy
- 300 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Dubrovnik Sun Gardens
- 554 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Neptun Dubrovnik
- 289 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Grand Hotel Park
- 457 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Villa Micika
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Valamar Club Dubrovnik
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- 217 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- City walls- 110 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Old City- 85 Reviews, 155 Photos
- Stradun- 41 Reviews, 85 Photos
- Island of Lokrum- 21 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Big Onofrije's Fountain- 26 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Gates of Pile- 27 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Franciscan Monastery- 25 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Rector's Palace- 27 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Fort Lovrijenac- 23 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Dominican Monastery- 22 Reviews, 49 Photos
See All Dubrovnik Things to Do