"Dubrovnik and the beauty inside" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik by acemj

Dubrovnik Travel Guide: 1,831 reviews and 4,889 photos

Enduring beauty

"Oh, wonderful, beloved and sweet freedom,
By which the Almighty has presented us with all the wealth of this world,
True origin of all our glory,
And unique adornment of this forest!
All the silver and gold of this world, and all human lives,
Cannot buy thy pure beauty." - Ivan Gundulic, 16th century poet from Dubrovnik.

These words are spoken aloud each year in the heart of Dubrovnik, Luza Square, to commemorate the beginning of the annual Summer Festival. This celebration of freedom and beauty has been well earned in a city that has endured tough times and continues to shine. Dubrovnik, also known as the "Pearl of the Adriatic," and her sturdy walled gem of an Old Town have not only survived the persistent deteriorating effects of time, but have also bounced back from the recent bombardments of war to once again become not only a tourist magnet, but also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

I came here having just survived an attack of my own in Split and perhaps going through such an experience made me relate to Dubrovnik even more. What better place on earth was there for me to heal, to bounce back and to, in fact, thrive? My time here was spent basking in the each moment. I was grateful for the mild temperatures, the safety of the sturdy city walls and the hope that every moment would be better than the last.

Dubrovnik's location to the far south of the country makes it a bit more challenging to visit, but the reward will be worth the effort. More than once on my trip to Croatia, I heard a local proclaim that, "Dubrovnik is everybody's favorite city, so tell me about your second favorite . . . ". Well, for me, things were somewhat skewed. The whole course of my trip, my life even, was affected by events that occurred during my time in Croatia. Getting myself into a very dangerous situation that could have turned out much worse while in Split, made me really savor every moment of the remainder of my trip. Despite the fact that I was physically quite useless for my first day or so in Dubrovnik, it was here that I rediscovered that an appreciation for things comes from within and is not dependent on where one is or what one is experiencing. There is so much beauty in this world and yet so much of it is hidden inside of us. In times of need, it can truly sustain us. In times of joy, it can make us shine.

• Last visit to Dubrovnik: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2004

• adema29's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Great Page and very nice photos! Great place to visit!

• wabIV's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Wow! Great photo's and information. I hope to visit Dubrovnik in the Fall. I enjoyed the introduction.

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Great info. and pictures. Sorry to hear you were mugged but I will visit your Split page now to see what happened.

• Apr 14, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Great page with lots of info. Really enjoyed looking round it. I loved Dubrovnik too :)

• Nov 8, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Spent the evening at the Troubador in Dubrovnik last June. Plann an evening or two there. Great music, high energy, lots of people from everywhere to chat with. But get there early. It fills up. And be nice to your barmaid. she might be a friend of mine.

• coast2coast's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 7:20 AM

Excellent page. Great descriptions and good photos. I had heard great things about Dubrovnik and it is now firmly on my wish list. Food looks pretty good from your photos too. Thanks.

• May 5, 2007 at 1:06 PM

thanks for all your tips. saved them and will use then when we're there.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Dubrovnik looks fantastic in your pictures. I'm sure I'll have a great time discovering it.

• Claudija's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2006 at 6:26 AM

have you visited the islands? http://www.dubrovnikyachtcharter.com

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2006 at 5:00 AM

Mark, fabulous page ...I especially like your "local custom" tips and night shots...I might visit Dubrovnik later this year ...I won't go in August as it is too hot and the Irish Pub is too crowded then ... *winkgrin*

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik

Have you been to Dubrovnik?