"Dubrovnik and the beauty inside" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik by acemj
Dubrovnik Travel Guide: 1,870 reviews and 4,978 photos
"Oh, wonderful, beloved and sweet freedom,
By which the Almighty has presented us with all the wealth of this world,
True origin of all our glory,
And unique adornment of this forest!
All the silver and gold of this world, and all human lives,
Cannot buy thy pure beauty." - Ivan Gundulic, 16th century poet from Dubrovnik.
These words are spoken aloud each year in the heart of Dubrovnik, Luza Square, to commemorate the beginning of the annual Summer Festival. This celebration of freedom and beauty has been well earned in a city that has endured tough times and continues to shine. Dubrovnik, also known as the "Pearl of the Adriatic," and her sturdy walled gem of an Old Town have not only survived the persistent deteriorating effects of time, but have also bounced back from the recent bombardments of war to once again become not only a tourist magnet, but also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
I came here having just survived an attack of my own in Split and perhaps going through such an experience made me relate to Dubrovnik even more. What better place on earth was there for me to heal, to bounce back and to, in fact, thrive? My time here was spent basking in the each moment. I was grateful for the mild temperatures, the safety of the sturdy city walls and the hope that every moment would be better than the last.
Dubrovnik's location to the far south of the country makes it a bit more challenging to visit, but the reward will be worth the effort. More than once on my trip to Croatia, I heard a local proclaim that, "Dubrovnik is everybody's favorite city, so tell me about your second favorite . . . ". Well, for me, things were somewhat skewed. The whole course of my trip, my life even, was affected by events that occurred during my time in Croatia. Getting myself into a very dangerous situation that could have turned out much worse while in Split, made me really savor every moment of the remainder of my trip. Despite the fact that I was physically quite useless for my first day or so in Dubrovnik, it was here that I rediscovered that an appreciation for things comes from within and is not dependent on where one is or what one is experiencing. There is so much beauty in this world and yet so much of it is hidden inside of us. In times of need, it can truly sustain us. In times of joy, it can make us shine.
Since it was literally right below my room, I decided to check out this bar. It bills itself as a Spanish Tapas Bar, but... more travel advice
Like many people I would guess, my favorite memory of Dubrovnik is hanging out on Stradun and just relaxing at the cafes... more travel advice
- See All Franciscan monastery
- See All Test your manhood
- See All Boating in the Adriatic
- See All Off the REALLY beaten path
- War wounds
acemj's Related Pages
Dubrovnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBROVNIK , the Pearl of Croatia"
- "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- "Dubrovnik - Ragusa"
- "Divine Dubrovnik"
- "Unavoidable Dubrovnik"
- "A Lovely Village Inside a Wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubrovnik
- Hotels in Dubrovnik
- Transportation in Dubrovnik
- Nightlife in Dubrovnik
- Restaurants in Dubrovnik
- Shopping in Dubrovnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubrovnik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik
- 57 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Dubrovnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubrovnik
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Hair Salon near Center"
- Commented on one of bonaventura's Dubrovnik travel pages
- updated a Dubrovnik Travel Page "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- Wrote a Review Great, if only they had a license! about Cervantes Tapas Bar in Dubrovnik Nightlife
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos