"Ouch, it's time to Split!" Top 5 Page for this destination Split by acemj

Split Travel Guide: 912 reviews and 2,389 photos

Strange title, I know, but when I think back to my visit to Split there is one unfortunate incident that will always stick out in my mind. Split is the capital of Dalmatia and Croatia's second largest town. It's a busy port and a major transportation hub and jumping off point for travelers wanting to explore the beautiful Croatian coast and beyond. The seaside location set against a backdrop of sometimes snow-capped mountains makes it, from certain viewpoints, a picture-perfect spot.

The city's links to the Roman Empire and to the sea are inescapable and both are worthy of your exploration. Wander through the Old Town and at times, it's like wandering into another era. The city's history and the footprints left behind by the citizens of its past are truly fascinating. Bite down on a fish that was caught only hours before and you'll wish you could eat like this every day.

But, what I'll remember most is the darkness of the alleyways,
the footsteps coming fast behind me,
the cold night air
and the kicks and punches landing hard against my body.

To find out what happened to me here, read my warnings and dangers, but please don't feel like Split is a dangerous place. Split is like any other city. It's a place where the chances of being robbed or beaten are very small and with common sense you should be fine. My experience taught me to be more aware of my surroundings and more cautious when it comes to my personal safety, even when I'm in a comfortable place that I feel is perfectly safe.

• Last visit to Split: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2005

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I remembered your story as I walked around split last week. It couldn't have happened to you this summer: so many tourists! I walked from Bacvice beach to the old town and around at all hours, and there were always lots of people about.

• Carguja's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 9:43 PM

the history is fantastic, something like that happned to me in Vilnius, Lithuania once I will decribe it in VT...I lost 800 euros that night including all the alcool I drank...

• highlandlaura's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Mark, Horrible experience but a lesson to us all in safe travel habits. Glad you made it thru.

• Apr 14, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Sorry about your bad experience here. Tourists are targets anywhere :(

• Iksi's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2008 at 4:05 AM

Sorry for your accident in my hometown,but as you said you can find idiots everywhere and I am sorry that you met ours.

• garcom01's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 7:39 AM

I am heading to Croatia, and probably Split in May.Thanks for the reminder that however beautiful and alluring a place is, there is still a need for caution and common-sense. I hope you healed quickly!

• Oct 22, 2006 at 5:22 PM

That IS an individual size. Tihis is not a "slice for 99 cents" type of place. That is how they serve pizza in real pizzerias in Europe.

• travelthrough's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 7:13 AM

I've never heard of any incident alike happening in Greece....was quite shock by the way they handled that, and couldn't you call and make them lock your credit card, they wouldn't have gotten that much.....

• ocean_fire's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2006 at 11:45 AM

auch, sorry for your incident and thanks for reminding me that bad things can be just around the corner :o)

• SharrieShaw's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 6:42 PM

I'm spending 2 nights here after Dubrovnik b4 going back to Zagreb. Any good suggestion on the quickest way to get here from Dubrovnik? I checked the airline, no flight. :-(

acemj