"Ouch, it's time to Split!" Top 5 Page for this destination Split by acemj
Split Travel Guide: 912 reviews and 2,389 photos
Strange title, I know, but when I think back to my visit to Split there is one unfortunate incident that will always stick out in my mind. Split is the capital of Dalmatia and Croatia's second largest town. It's a busy port and a major transportation hub and jumping off point for travelers wanting to explore the beautiful Croatian coast and beyond. The seaside location set against a backdrop of sometimes snow-capped mountains makes it, from certain viewpoints, a picture-perfect spot.
The city's links to the Roman Empire and to the sea are inescapable and both are worthy of your exploration. Wander through the Old Town and at times, it's like wandering into another era. The city's history and the footprints left behind by the citizens of its past are truly fascinating. Bite down on a fish that was caught only hours before and you'll wish you could eat like this every day.
But, what I'll remember most is the darkness of the alleyways,
the footsteps coming fast behind me,
the cold night air
and the kicks and punches landing hard against my body.
To find out what happened to me here, read my warnings and dangers, but please don't feel like Split is a dangerous place. Split is like any other city. It's a place where the chances of being robbed or beaten are very small and with common sense you should be fine. My experience taught me to be more aware of my surroundings and more cautious when it comes to my personal safety, even when I'm in a comfortable place that I feel is perfectly safe.
When they realized I had had enough (or maybe they just tired themselves out with all that kicking) they roughly picked... more travel advice
Outside of the Old Town, you'll find some typical neighborhoods with people milling about, sweeping their steps or just... more travel advice
- Hajduk Split
- See All Off season solitude
- Turist Biro
acemj's Related Pages
Split Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "And where's the Palace?"
- "Varoš is the real soul of Split"
- "Diocletian-A Palace that Started a City"
- "Ouch, it's time to Split!"
- "Sunny days in Split"
- "Welcome to Split"
- "I will go back!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Split
- Hotels in Split
- Transportation in Split
- Nightlife in Split
- Restaurants in Split
- Shopping in Split
- Warnings and Dangers in Split
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Split
- 43 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Split?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Split
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos