"Underrated Zagreb" Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb by acemj

Zagreb Travel Guide: 1,867 reviews and 4,713 photos

My first and last stops in Croatia were in Zagreb. When I originally sat down to plan my itinerary, I hadn't planned to spend any real time in Zagreb. I was only going to rush through the airport on my way to the warmer weather of the Croatian coast. However, after I realized that I would have to endure a marathon 18 hour journey from the States before arriving in Zagreb, I figured I'd need a little rest before moving on to the coast.

I now realize how fortunate I was to have spent some time in this dignified and charming capital city. After all, when it comes to travel, it is usually the unexpected surprises that are most memorable and this unplanned stop will certainly be hard to forget. Zagreb is really my kind of town. While postcard views of Dubrovnik's Old Town and Trogir's waterfront had been the original reason that I came to Croatia, it's the hospitality and elegance of Zagreb that I will remember most.

My Welcoming Tour Guides!

Boris (croisbeauty) and Niksa (diocletianvs) welcomed me to Zagreb with gifts as well as a great sacrifice of their time. I was rarely alone while in town and they were more than willing to share their knowledge of their beautiful city with me. Another VTer, Zdenka (Nykaenen) is also a great guide, but unfortunately for me she was showing two Finnish friends around town and was unable to hang out with us. I did, however, meet her briefly as we ran into them on the street one afternoon.

Thank you to all of the local VTers in Zagreb for all of the advice in planning this trip and a special thank you to Boris and Niksa for being such hospitable hosts! You really made my trip!!

• Last visit to Zagreb: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 6, 2004

• Dec 28, 2006 at 5:17 AM

glad to hear you decided to hang out in Zagreb, something a lot of people forgo for the coast. Its a wonderful city, so much so that i decided to move here from Sydney!

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2006 at 8:05 AM

ravnice hostel seems to be a very good place! thanks for putting all this tips together:)

• Marie-France's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2006 at 7:55 PM

I'm gonna be in Zagreb in May, and will be getting a tour by Niksa as well. Can't wait!! :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2006 at 2:34 PM

With Boris and Niksa as guides, you were sure to have the best possible visit of Zagreb! I will for sure rely on them for my future visit! I am sure that 3 full minutes with Zdenka were worth the trip!

• Dec 7, 2005 at 2:59 AM

Nice presentation of Zagreb!

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2005 at 1:24 AM

Interesting to read about a place and culture that I have little knowledge about. Wonderful local flavours - water pump, street markets, graffiti, cemetary ... great stories and amazing architectural shots. Thanks for a fascinating tour of Zagreb, Mark!

• Dec 19, 2004 at 9:29 AM

it all looks so strangely familiar. i even chose almost the same opening pic. haha oh well, we had the same guides ;)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 9:57 AM

I have just re-read your fabulous Zagreb page, as I have been to this indeed underrated city in August. I also had an excellent local guide .... :o)

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2004 at 1:10 PM

Drazen's gravesite is out the main front of the cemetery and to the left a little ways. It is toward the front. -- Greg

• Nykaenen's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2004 at 2:59 AM

It might have been the shortest VT meeting, but I was so glad to meet you even for those 3 min!!! If only "boys" had not been so jealous and invited me to a dinner meeting with you... Great page, btw!

acemj