"OOPS! - stende: Oostende by accident" Oostende by acemj

Oostende Travel Guide: 526 reviews and 1,683 photos

So, it was a Thursday and I decided to leave Gent and head to Brugge. Brugge- the town that I had heard so much about. Romantic canals, beautiful parks, perfectly preserved architectural wonders and cobblestone streets. As I boarded the train in Gent, I was pretty excited about what was waiting for me at the next stop.

However, after sampling quite a few great beers the night before, I had gone to bed quite late and hadn't slept much, so shortly after settling into my comfortable train seat, I started to doze off. The train pushed westward and I sat in a half-sleep, eyes closed, but hearing the chatter around me. Flemish, French, Dutch, English, Spanish and other languages mingled in my head as the train glided smoothly on.

Then, I heard the conductor make his bilingual, double-whammied announcement, first in Flemish knowing that it would be followed by the French version. I knew that in Belgium they don't say "Bruges" as if it rhymes with rouge like we do in the States. So, I listened for the word, "Brugge", the hard "g" and the aspiration at the end of the word.

Nothing.

And, then in French I heard him say Oostende and made out "final stop" and I knew I shouldn't have had that last beer the night before.

• Last visit to Oostende: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 23, 2006

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Done that myself more than once - good page.

• May 7, 2010 at 12:19 PM

feeding seagulls is prohibited: fines up to 250 euro

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Nice pages. We loved Belgium!! me for the chocolate and my husband for the beer!!

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 4:05 PM

I would like to thank you sincerely for reminding me why I have never partaken in 'fish stew'. Whatever they provided within that receptacle surely never had the ability to swim? Limp perhaps - swim, never!

• Vincedem's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2006 at 7:06 AM

Nice to see a page about my hometown! Most of your tips are good and unfortunatelly we don't have an old centre because it was all destroyed in the war! But nice To read anyway... Greets from Oostende

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2006 at 10:09 PM

nice page, Mark, sometimes it is necessary to get up too late...

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2006 at 1:45 PM

As you say, things can't be too bad if you at least end up by the Sea!! I think you have summed up the place quite well. Don't blame you for the slumber - I once did it on a long bus ride and had to walk back 6 miles at 1 AM!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 5:21 PM

Your warnings and dangers tip brings to mind the song "Cien Gaviotas."

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2006 at 8:17 AM

Yep! Your Oostende pages definately make the place look a bit more exotic than I managed 2.! I forgot about our feathered friends the seagulls who have been known to drop a doobie with such precision from the heavens when u least expect it! Tim

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2006 at 4:58 PM

Cool looking stew. D is having flashbacks fo your fish eye expose.

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Oostende

Have you been to Oostende?

Latest Activity in Oostende