"Schafberg" Schafberg by acemj
Schafberg Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 157 photos
How does this sound for a morning excursion? . . .
Coffee in hand, you start with a stroll through a lakeside village to a small train station at the edge of town. Then, you hop on an old-style train that chugs up 1783 meters to the top of your visible world. Along the way, you pass by the occasional long wooden fence cutting sharply through a grassy meadow and you look hard to see what's being fenced in. You come around another curve in the track and there it is- a small herd of some kind of mountainous cow. They're a lighter brown than you've seen before and they look perfectly content and sure-footed as they graze away the morning hours amidst a backdrop of suddenly visible mountain peaks surrounding you everywhere the eye can see.
As you spin around in your wooden seat, you notice the windows of the train open by pulling a leather strap and you marvel at the efficiency and simplicity of such a design. It seems appropriate in a simple, yet magnificent setting such as this. You strain to see past the passengers on the other side of the train car. You don't want to miss anything. You start to sense the summit, but not yet. First you pass by a ridge lined with a row of squat, dark green conifers that seem to be gazing out at a long S-shaped lake that seemingly wriggles into the distance like a fleeing snake. You're almost there. Another curve in the track and you see it. You see everything. Your immediate world suddenly materializes below you and somehow, you feel humble for having received such a generous reward.
If you're visiting Schafberg, come prepared adn don't be surprised if it's significantly colder up there than it is... more travel advice
The trees are thick and durable, the grass is toughened by the winds and the peaks are jagged and rough and yet this... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Schafberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Schafberg Page"
- "Schafberg - The Hills are Alive"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schafberg
- Hotels in Schafberg
- Transportation in Schafberg
- Restaurants in Schafberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Schafberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schafberg
- 14 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Schafberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schafberg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos