"Hallstatt . . . my inspiration" Top 5 Page for this destination Hallstatt by acemj
Hallstatt Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 685 photos
Hallstatt was really the impetus for my trip to Austria's Salzkammergut region (lake district). After seeing fairy tale photos of this striking town, I just had to see it with my own eyes. I had already seen many photographs and with each viewing, my anticipation grew. In many photos, the slender steeple of the town's Protestant church is the focal point. In all of them, Hallstatt's smiling face has no bad side. As seen from the side, a photo image reveals a narrow town that sits like a shelf dangling off a mighty mountain at its rear, with a glass-like lake lapping against its curving shoreline. In the distance snow-capped peaks frame the photo and in the foreground flowerboxes, greenery, or perhaps a . . .
swan. Yes, a swan. Aren't they the ethereal creatures we read about in fairy tales? I thought so.
While it was physical beauty that beckoned me (typical guy, I know!) it was the area's rich resources that attracted Hallstatt's original inhabitans in around 5000 BC. Yes, I said 5000 BC. In fact, Hallstatt is the oldest town in Austria and one of the oldest in all of Europe. Today, you can visit two museums (Heimatmuseum and Prahistorisches Museum) which will give you a glimpse into Hallstatt's long and interesting history.
When I say "slice" I mean it. Hallstatt is really a very narrow slice of land that sits squeezed between a sheer... more travel advice
Hallstatt is one of the most picturesque towns in Europe and if I were in charge of the Austrian tourist board, I'd... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Hallstatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hallstatt . . . my inspiration"
- "Heavenly Hallstatt......."
- "Hallstatt...it’s paradise!"
- "Beautiful Hallstatt"
- "Hallstatt a great place to spend your time!"
- "Historical, magical, beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hallstatt
- Hotels in Hallstatt
- Transportation in Hallstatt
- Nightlife in Hallstatt
- Restaurants in Hallstatt
- Shopping in Hallstatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Hallstatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hallstatt
- 21 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Hallstatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hallstatt
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos