"Hallstatt . . . my inspiration" Top 5 Page for this destination Hallstatt by acemj

Hallstatt Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 685 photos

Hallstatt was really the impetus for my trip to Austria's Salzkammergut region (lake district). After seeing fairy tale photos of this striking town, I just had to see it with my own eyes. I had already seen many photographs and with each viewing, my anticipation grew. In many photos, the slender steeple of the town's Protestant church is the focal point. In all of them, Hallstatt's smiling face has no bad side. As seen from the side, a photo image reveals a narrow town that sits like a shelf dangling off a mighty mountain at its rear, with a glass-like lake lapping against its curving shoreline. In the distance snow-capped peaks frame the photo and in the foreground flowerboxes, greenery, or perhaps a . . .

swan. Yes, a swan. Aren't they the ethereal creatures we read about in fairy tales? I thought so.

While it was physical beauty that beckoned me (typical guy, I know!) it was the area's rich resources that attracted Hallstatt's original inhabitans in around 5000 BC. Yes, I said 5000 BC. In fact, Hallstatt is the oldest town in Austria and one of the oldest in all of Europe. Today, you can visit two museums (Heimatmuseum and Prahistorisches Museum) which will give you a glimpse into Hallstatt's long and interesting history.

Michael (VTer globetrott) was my official guide in Hallstatt and I appreciate his hospitality in showing me this true Austrian gem.

• Last visit to Hallstatt: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2005

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 9:06 AM

Excellent pics, beautiful town, pretty location and great architecture! Thank you for sharing and you just convinced me to there when on the way :-)

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2006 at 5:19 AM

I have to visit Austria again and see this beautiful place. Amazing the introduction photo. Greetings from Barcelona.

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2005 at 5:33 AM

I hope to make it here one day-beautiful page!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2005 at 1:47 AM

A remarkable town, thanks for sharing

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2005 at 6:51 AM

I see you admired well the beauty of Austria, Mark you did an excellent page again my friend ;-D

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2005 at 8:27 AM

Marc, a great page on this extremely photogenic spot!! It does indeed look like a great place to just contemplate the beauty of life!

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 11:24 AM

Excellent page about one of Austria's historical treasures. Yes, old excrement can hold many clues about history!!! Your pictures are excellent and your tips infomative! Great page!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2005 at 8:36 PM

Hallstatt is one of my favorite places in Austria & your excellent pics show it at its best !

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2005 at 6:50 PM

Nice scenery. "Some old sh**" can describe half the art in the world and I'll bet the artist got some kind of government grant for it.

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Hallstatt

Have you been to Hallstatt?

Latest Activity in Hallstatt