"Mondsee: my first taste of Austrian lakes" Top 5 Page for this destination Mondsee by acemj

Mondsee Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 76 photos

The Salzkammergut refers to the area to the east of Salzburg made up of lofty mountain peaks that surround glacier-carved lakes. The first such lake that I encountered was Mondsee and my first town in the area was the township of the same name.

Mondsee is a charming place highlighted by a colorful main market square and a church that was once the place of worship for the Benedictine monks who founded the town all the back in the 8th century. Of all the towns in this beautiful region of Austria, I spent the least time in Mondsee, but then again, it was enough to get a taste of the simple and charming atmosphere waiting for you here.

• Last visit to Mondsee: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2004

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Mondsee and its water attraction look so appealing. I know you had a great time there, and your descriptions are very good.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM

What a very pretty place with all the brightly coloured buildings!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 8:15 AM

i was curious about mondess because i have just used its name in something i wrote - it looks unbelievably pretty

• Apr 1, 2005 at 12:37 PM

It's been a while since I was in the Salzkammergut for the last time. After seeing your photos I think I should revisit this year!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2005 at 1:25 AM

This looks like a lovely quiet lake town, I must visit it myself one day. BTW Happy Birthday Mark!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 6:39 PM

Certainly a perfect spot to start your adventures, especially with a guide like 'globetrott' at the wheel! Great pics and tips on this scenic town Mark!

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2005 at 2:10 AM

Mondsee looks calm and beautiful - the lake and the mountain are very picturesque. Looks like you were lucky with the weather and with local guides. All the best!

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2004 at 9:13 AM

What a joy looking to this page! I can imagine that Michael/globetrott is also a great travel guide as well! Thanks for this wonderful pictures and your birthday wishes!

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 7:29 AM

My travels in Austria have yet to take me to the actual town of Mondsee, but I too have driven by countless times on the A1 and the view is spectacular! Great page Mark!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2004 at 9:54 PM

Great job and lovely town at great location!

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Mondsee

Have you been to Mondsee?

Latest Activity in Mondsee