Salzburg Transportation Tips by acemj Top 5 Page for this destination
Salzburg Transportation: 164 reviews and 190 photos
The oldest funicular in Austria, built in 1891, the Festungsbahn funicular will take you up the hill to the Hohensalzburg Fortress in no time for a cost of 5.60 Euros (8.50 for a roundtrip). If you're fit enough, you can also walk up to the castle.
If you're trying to scale Salzburg's hill (Monchsberg) and you want to approach it from the western end of the Alstadt, you can take the Monchsberg lift. I believe it was only about 2 euros one way.
There is a boat tour that you can take up the River Salzach and gives an interesting perspective of Mozart's beautiful city. The boat is called the Amadeus and was actually destroyed in the flooding that ravaged much of Europe in 2003. However, a new boat was built which holds 60 passengers and costs 10 Euros for a standard river cruise or 13 if you want to visit the Hellbrunn Palace as well.
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: 43/662/82 58 58
There are tourist-oriented horse-drawn carriage rides that will take you around the Old Town. They line up in Residenzplatz directly in front of the main entrance to the Residenz near the Domkirche.
Phone: 0662/84 47 72, 43 58 94
Not too many tourists fly into Salzburg, but it is possible. The W. A. Mozart airport code is SZG and it's located about 4km outside of the city near the German border. You can take a train from the Hauptbahnhof and arrive at the airport in about 15 minutes. A bus leaves from the train station as well and takes about the same time.
Just outside the train station, you can grab a bus for $1.70 Euros and it will take you directly to the Old Town. However, unless the weather is bad, I'd recommend walking. It will only take about 20 minutes and you can stop along the way at the Schloss Mirabell and gardens. Once you arrive in the Old Town, everything is very walkable.
I arrived at Salzburg's Hauptbahnhof via Munich and the ride took less than two hours on the very efficient and comfortable train. My ticket cost 25 euros for the one way fare. The Hauptbahnhof is situated about a 20 minute walk from the Old Town (Alstadt) and is well-connected to the rest of Salzburg by buses which arrive right out front.
More Reviews (44)
- See All The Hohensalzburg fortress
- See All Great beer
- Safe place
- See All An evening at the theater
- See All Schloss Leopoldskron
- See All Famous coffee
acemj's Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "Wonderful Salzburg!"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- "Mozart Music and More"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Laguna de Guatavita Hotels
- Arezzo Hotels
- Vincennes Hotels
- Englewood Cliffs Hotels
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 51 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Hair Salon near Center"
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Salzburg travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Photographing Salzburg"
- updated a Salzburg Travelogue "Photographing Salzburg"
- Wrote a Review The Hohensalzburg fortress about Hohensalzburg Fortress in Salzburg Things to Do
Photos in SalzburgSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (120)
Latest Salzburg hotel reviews
- Bristol Hotel Salzburg
- 270 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Hotel Weisse Taube
- 245 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Yoho International Youth Hostel
- 168 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Haus Reichl Reiterweg B&B
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Haus Am Moos
- 144 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Pension Elisabeth
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Hotel Friesacher
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Haus Kernstock
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 5, 2012
- NH Salzburg Hotel
- 261 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Mercure Salzburg Kapuzinerberg
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Am Nussdorferhof
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Stadler
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2006
- Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Hotel Vogelweiderhof
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 5, 2013
- Hotel Lasserhof
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Mozart's House- 100 Reviews, 129 Photos
- Hohensalzburg Fortress- 201 Reviews, 348 Photos
- Mirabell Garden & Castle- 140 Reviews, 236 Photos
- Sound of Music Tour- 30 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Dome and Cathedral- 89 Reviews, 146 Photos
- Getreidegasse- 47 Reviews, 83 Photos
- Schloss Hellbrunn- 42 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Mozartplatz and Statue (Mozart Square)- 43 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Altstadt- 55 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Salt Mines- 21 Reviews, 21 Photos
See All Salzburg Things to Do