"One order of Salzburg, please . . ." Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg by acemj

Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,577 reviews and 5,913 photos

Light on the Mozart & hold The Sound of Music

Yep, this Salzburg page will intentionally be served with very little Mozart and almost no Sound of Music references. Why? Well, I like Mozart's music, but I don't really care much about where he was born and I really don't care about his balls (Mozart balls are chocolates sold EVERYWHERE in Salzburg). And as for the Sound of Music . . . I hate musicals!

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's talk about Salzburg. In many ways, Salzburg is the living stereotype of the all things Austrian. Wonderful Baroque architecture, good beer and Alpine scenery all conspire along the banks of the River Salzach to create one of the most picturesque cities in Europe.

I was fortunate to be able to spend much of my time in Salzburg with VT member and all-around good guy, globetrott. Michael and I took lots of pictures (big surprise for two VTers) and did a lot of strolling around. We sampled some traditional Austrian food and enjoyed some great Augustiner beers. Hopefully, we'll be able to do it again sometime soon. Thanks for everything, Michael!

• Last visit to Salzburg: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2004

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2010 at 2:43 AM

I hope to visit Salzburg soon. Ciao!

• vasilyec's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM

I took your advice and I walked to Old Town from the train station: it took me about 1 hour since I didn't know where to go, and the people I tried to ask didn't speak any English. If you arrive with a luggage and you don't know where to go - take a cab!

• Jul 31, 2006 at 2:30 AM

All over your site you continually mention "old town", but never say precisely what it is nor where it's located, or how to get there, or if it is worth getting there.

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 11:10 AM

Picturesque and charming. OMG, I hope to find some steel and glass structures as well, otherwise I'll have to cancel my ticket ;) Thanks for the great info Mark!

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2005 at 12:45 PM

Wow! Amazing city, a bit looks like my hometown Vilnius with much church spires! :)

• Apr 17, 2005 at 9:05 AM

Looking at your pictures made me really want to go back to Salzburg. It is one of my favorite places. Thanks for sharing

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 3:41 AM

Super Page here Mark....Salzburg looks fantastic...cant wait to try those Coffees and Beers next week! Ali xx

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2004 at 9:40 PM

Wonderful page, great info and lovely pictures! Thanks for virtual trip around this charming city!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 7:33 PM

Brings back memories of my '87 trip there. I love the Cafe Glockenspiel. You couldn't have a nicer view as you eat your sachertorte and sip your coffee.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 5:18 PM

excellent infos and brilliant pics, Mark ! ...it was a pleasure and a lot of fun meeting you !

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Salzburg

Have you been to Salzburg?

Latest Activity in Salzburg