Dublin Restaurant Tips by acemj Top 5 Page for this destination
Dublin Restaurants: 656 reviews and 664 photos
I went in here for lunch based on the suggestion of a hotel doorman in Merrion Square. He was right! The atmosphere was good. Dark, with lots of locals. And the beer was cold. I also had an excellent wild mushroom soup and some tea. All this for about 7 euros!!
Address: 1 Merrion Row, Dublin 2
I wanted to try some fish and chips and this place looked good, but unfortunately I didn't like it too much. It seemed liked dressed up fast food. The fish didn't really have much flavor and the prices were pretty high for what you get. I was told by an American friend to try the curry chips. They weren't bad.
Favorite Dish: Curry chips
Address: 7 Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin / 14 Westmoreland
Price Comparison: least expensive
Phone: 353 1 677 8026
Price: less than US$10
This is where we met for our VT meeting. Great choice, Louise!!
The food was good, but of course, it was more memorable because of the good company. It was fun getting to know Louise (IrishFem), Peter (kili99), Suzanne (Suzanne M), Orla (orlikins), Dave (dmrtn) and Gabby (gabsblack).
Sorry the photo's so dark.
Favorite Dish: I had the Insalata di Caesar to start and then had the Penne alla Vodka for the main course. Both were really good.
Address: 1/3 Chatham House, Balfe St, Dublin 2
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: From Grafton Street walking toward St. Stephen's Green, take a right on Harry Street, past McDaid's pub and it's around the corner to the left.
Bewley's is definitely a Dublin tradition. It's a chain, but the one on Grafton Street is the best for ambience (Westmoreland Street is good too). The sticky buns are good. I also stopped in one evening for a cup of tea, which comes is looseleaf tea served in a small teapot. Very good.
Favorite Dish: The tea is good. You can order it online at http://goodwoods.safeshopper.com/15/852.htm?748
Address: Grafton Street /Westmorland Street
Phone: 353 1 635 5400
Neary's was once a popular hangout for certain literary figures including Brendan Behan in the 1950s. The interior is really cool and I like the exterior facade shown in this photo. Stop in for a pint or for lunch.
Address: 1 Chatham Street
Directions: Near the Gaeity Theatre
Just off of Grafton Street on Anne Street, you'll find this pub. Here's what I wrote in my journal about it:
"The bar is dim and the wood is worn. I ordered a pint (that's all you have to say in Ireland: I'll have a pint- and the bartender knows you mean Guinness). The beer was good- cold and smooth with a frothy top that feels thick and sweet, though that can't be true. There were nooks and crannies all over the place. A tiny little room just when you walk in that should be for one or two, but is intended for four or five. I walked upstairs and noticed that the stairs were carpeted as if to cover up the unnevennes or rottenness of the wood. The wood felt damp and soft and it was a somehow cozy and uneasy feeling as I walked up. I finished my pint upstairs and began talking with a girl who goes to Trinity."
Address: Anne Street
Directions: Off of Grafton Street
More Reviews (80)
- See All Whiskey
- See All Great trees!
- See All Quiet Spots
- See All The oldest . . .
- Basic precautions
- See All Henry/Mary Streets
acemj's Related Pages
Dublin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ultra Trendy Capital City"
- "AT LAST I MADE IT TO DUBLIN"
- "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
- "Dublin - The Windy City!!"
- "My first trip to Ireland!"
- "Dirty old town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dublin
- Hotels in Dublin
- Transportation in Dublin
- Nightlife in Dublin
- Restaurants in Dublin
- Shopping in Dublin
- Warnings and Dangers in Dublin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dublin
- 86 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 68 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Dublin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dublin
Photos in DublinSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (119)
- Kilmainham Jail- 78 Reviews, 142 Photos
- Guinness Brewery- 141 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Trinity College- 142 Reviews, 221 Photos
- Dublin Castle- 111 Reviews, 184 Photos
- Christ Church Cathedral- 93 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Ha'penny Bridge- 58 Reviews, 92 Photos
- Temple Bar- 57 Reviews, 95 Photos
- St. Stephen's Green- 76 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Millennium Spire- 29 Reviews, 45 Photos
- O'Connell Street- 42 Reviews, 78 Photos
See All Dublin Things to Do