"Dublin" Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin by acemj
Dublin Travel Guide: 5,141 reviews and 9,452 photos
I only had three and a half days to see Dublin, so it wouldn't be a stretch to call this a whirlwind tour of one of Europe's most vibrant cities. As I walked on the posh streets, passing stylish fusion restaurants and gourmet cafes, I wondered what the past must have been like. Isn't Ireland a depressing place? The weather is certainly gray and grim and it's a wonder that a soul could be capable of generating a smile here, I thought to myself.
But recently there has been a lot to smile about. The Irish per capita income is higher than that of England's for the first time in history and Dublin is leading the economic charge. As the capital of the Irish Republic, Dublin has nearly half of the country's 3.6 million inhabitants and this and other factors have attracted such international companies as Dell and Microsoft to make Dublin their European headquarters. Trinity College and many other local universities offer an educated workforce and a youthful, can-do spirit has given rise to the moniker, the Celtic Tiger.
It's too bad that this was my first trip to Dublin. I wish that I would have been there before the city's economic fortunes had turned. I wish I would have had a reference point to see how much things have really changed. Talking with the locals, I began to grasp that not all of the changes are embraced with enthusiasm. While Dubliners are proud of their city's growth, they seem to be more down to earth than most. They aren't impressed with celebrity sightings and fancy cafes. Instead, it seems to me that many of them are more concerned with the changes and restrictions being enforced by the European Union and by the increased crime and traffic that inevitably come with growth.
Despite these concerns, I am glad to report that Dubliners are still some of the most welcoming people you'll ever meet! More than once, I walked into a pub and struck up conversations with locals who were truly glad to make my acquaintance and were proud to share their knowledge about their city.
"What part of the States are you from?" said the ruddy skinned old-timer at the bar.
"From the Southeast. North Carolina. Are you familiar with it?" I replied.
"Ahh, yes. Not far from Washington. Am I right?" said the man with a lilting, yet fully understandable Irish tint to his voice.
'That's right," I said, nodding with a smile.
"First time in Dublin?" he asked.
"First time in Ireland," I replied.
"Well, Jaaaysus! Lemme' buy you a pint, young friend."
Cheers, to you Dublin. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Not surprisingly, Dublin's VTers are a friendly bunch. Many thanks to Louise and Suzanne for organizing our meeting. It was great meeting both of you along with Orla, Peter, Gabby and Dave. Let's do it again Philadelphia!!! You're all invited anytime.
My first sip of Bushmill's Black Bush Whiskey was here at a pub called the Long Hall. Not being much of a whiskey... more travel advice
Most of the grand buildings on the Trinity campus were constructed in the 18th and 19th century. Many notable students... more travel advice
- See All Quiet Spots
- See All The oldest . . .
- See All Merrion Square Pub
- Basic precautions
- See All Henry/Mary Streets
- See All DART map
acemj's Related Pages
Dublin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ultra Trendy Capital City"
- "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
- "Dublin - The Windy City!!"
- "My first trip to Ireland!"
- "Dirty old town"
- "The GREAT city of Dublin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dublin
- Hotels in Dublin
- Transportation in Dublin
- Nightlife in Dublin
- Restaurants in Dublin
- Shopping in Dublin
- Warnings and Dangers in Dublin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dublin
- 86 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 70 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Dublin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dublin
Photos in DublinSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos