"Dublin" Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin by acemj

Dublin Travel Guide: 5,145 reviews and 9,471 photos

3 1/2 days . . .

I only had three and a half days to see Dublin, so it wouldn't be a stretch to call this a whirlwind tour of one of Europe's most vibrant cities. As I walked on the posh streets, passing stylish fusion restaurants and gourmet cafes, I wondered what the past must have been like. Isn't Ireland a depressing place? The weather is certainly gray and grim and it's a wonder that a soul could be capable of generating a smile here, I thought to myself.

But recently there has been a lot to smile about. The Irish per capita income is higher than that of England's for the first time in history and Dublin is leading the economic charge. As the capital of the Irish Republic, Dublin has nearly half of the country's 3.6 million inhabitants and this and other factors have attracted such international companies as Dell and Microsoft to make Dublin their European headquarters. Trinity College and many other local universities offer an educated workforce and a youthful, can-do spirit has given rise to the moniker, the Celtic Tiger.

It's too bad that this was my first trip to Dublin. I wish that I would have been there before the city's economic fortunes had turned. I wish I would have had a reference point to see how much things have really changed. Talking with the locals, I began to grasp that not all of the changes are embraced with enthusiasm. While Dubliners are proud of their city's growth, they seem to be more down to earth than most. They aren't impressed with celebrity sightings and fancy cafes. Instead, it seems to me that many of them are more concerned with the changes and restrictions being enforced by the European Union and by the increased crime and traffic that inevitably come with growth.

Despite these concerns, I am glad to report that Dubliners are still some of the most welcoming people you'll ever meet! More than once, I walked into a pub and struck up conversations with locals who were truly glad to make my acquaintance and were proud to share their knowledge about their city.

"What part of the States are you from?" said the ruddy skinned old-timer at the bar.

"From the Southeast. North Carolina. Are you familiar with it?" I replied.

"Ahh, yes. Not far from Washington. Am I right?" said the man with a lilting, yet fully understandable Irish tint to his voice.

'That's right," I said, nodding with a smile.

"First time in Dublin?" he asked.

"First time in Ireland," I replied.

"Well, Jaaaysus! Lemme' buy you a pint, young friend."

Cheers, to you Dublin. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Awesome VTers!!

Not surprisingly, Dublin's VTers are a friendly bunch. Many thanks to Louise and Suzanne for organizing our meeting. It was great meeting both of you along with Orla, Peter, Gabby and Dave. Let's do it again Philadelphia!!! You're all invited anytime.

• Last visit to Dublin: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2004

• yaya15923's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Your Dublin pages are wonderful and very helpful. Thank you so much :O)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Great page Mark!

• Jul 30, 2007 at 5:54 AM

I know many people who are or were involved in St Patrick's cathedral, but I have never heard it referred to as 'the people's cathedral' So if you're asking for directions, just call it St Patrick's and people will know where you mean.

• SpagBoll's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2007 at 7:05 AM

Thanks for the tip - I'll likewise pass on the Isaacs

• rui_pedro's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 3:48 AM

well, im impressed with your commentaries and the time you've wasted here to show us everything, its definitely a worth page to visit if you wanna go there ;) thanks.

• Oct 27, 2006 at 8:00 AM

great page and nice tips! thanks for sharing!

• Sep 29, 2006 at 12:51 PM

Lovely page! and nice pictures. Nikos

• Sep 26, 2006 at 6:43 AM

Wow.. your Dublin pages are really great. I learned so much from them. Im still trying to figure out whether to stay in the North of the City or the South City, and we're leaving in 4 days! Any ideas?

• songlines's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 1:09 AM

Your Dublin pages are great! The tips too. It is a fantastic city and is very welcoming of visitors as you say. Enjoy your travels.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 5:50 PM

As a few of my forebears ended up in Australia as "convicts" Kilmainham was a must. I was stirred to tears by the passionate lassie who took us on the tour - especially the execution site.

acemj