"Alcobaça's Gem" Top 5 Page for this destination Alcobaça by acemj

Alcobaça Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 464 photos

The Monastery

The over 900 year old Mosteiro de Santa Maria de Alcobaça was the draw. I had loosely planned out our route as my friend Andrew and I drove around central Portugal in our little Fiat Punto rental car. After stopping at the impressive Gothic cathedral in Batalha we had almost had our fill of architecture for the day, but we decided to squeeze in Alcobaça. It did not disappoint.

• Last visit to Alcobaça: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2003

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2006 at 2:03 AM

Hope to visit Alcobaca next week. Is there much to see other than the monastery?

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2005 at 10:35 AM

Great page and photos. I guess I have to come back to Portugal again.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2004 at 3:33 AM

It is awesome!!!!!!!!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2004 at 4:24 PM

Quite the story about those Royal lovers! Thanks for the nice pics and tips - my wife & I are headed that way in 2 weeks so will have to check it out first-hand!

• JoseMonteiro's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2004 at 6:35 AM

The story is quiet real. Dom Pedro IV had Dona Ines's body exhumed and the court had to come from Coimbra, where she was buried, to Alcobaça with all the honor a queen deserves. Geat, Tx

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2003 at 11:29 PM

Great page Mark! I love architecture and churches like this myself! Wow, would love to go here to see that church and monastery!

• Apr 2, 2003 at 4:22 AM

What a story about these lovers... Amazing monastery!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2003 at 3:32 PM

You are right, it is amazing what achitectural achievements they made back then. Thats quite a story of the tombs. Best Wishes and Happy Birthday Mark.

• annk's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2003 at 6:44 AM

Happy Birthday Mark! Excellent tips on the monastery.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2003 at 2:50 PM

I'm glad you finally visited this town, great pics as usual (even the Golf one, LOL)

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Alcobaça

Have you been to Alcobaça?

Latest Activity in Alcobaça