"Belém, Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Belém by acemj
Belém Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 1,020 photos
Located just a twenty minute tram ride from the heart of Lisbon is the photogenic suburb of Belém. This small district has an impressive collection of monuments and ornately decorated architectural treasures. The importance of Belém is linked with Portugal's rich history of exploration and discovery. It was from here, that the Vasco da Gama set sail on his way to discovering the sea route to India, thereby opening up important trade routes that eventually made Portugal a world power.
The day I visited, the weather was unpredictable. The sun and the rain were playing a game of cat and mouse in the sky, which more than once caused me to get caught outside in a wet downpour (the rainbows were great, though). Despite these minor irritations, I loved my time here. The most amazing sight to me, was the phenomenal central cloister in the monastery, which is the finest cloister I've ever seen. When you visit, make sure you bring plenty of film to capture Lisbon's most photogenic district. Come in the spirit of the famous Portuguese explorers and discover your own favorites of Belém.
Belém is only about 6 km from the center of Lisbon and there are a few ways to get there. you can take the modern,... more travel advice
I took this photo from the top of the Torre de Belém where you have great views over the town. This overview shows some... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Belém Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great place to visit !"
- "Interesting Belém"
- "Belém, Portugal"
- "From where the great explorers set sail"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belém
- Hotels in Belém
- Transportation in Belém
- Nightlife in Belém
- Restaurants in Belém
- Shopping in Belém
- Warnings and Dangers in Belém
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belém
- 25 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Belém?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belém
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos