"Belém, Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Belém by acemj

Belém Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 1,020 photos

Set sail to Belém

Located just a twenty minute tram ride from the heart of Lisbon is the photogenic suburb of Belém. This small district has an impressive collection of monuments and ornately decorated architectural treasures. The importance of Belém is linked with Portugal's rich history of exploration and discovery. It was from here, that the Vasco da Gama set sail on his way to discovering the sea route to India, thereby opening up important trade routes that eventually made Portugal a world power.

The day I visited, the weather was unpredictable. The sun and the rain were playing a game of cat and mouse in the sky, which more than once caused me to get caught outside in a wet downpour (the rainbows were great, though). Despite these minor irritations, I loved my time here. The most amazing sight to me, was the phenomenal central cloister in the monastery, which is the finest cloister I've ever seen. When you visit, make sure you bring plenty of film to capture Lisbon's most photogenic district. Come in the spirit of the famous Portuguese explorers and discover your own favorites of Belém.

• Last visit to Belém: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2003

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2004 at 3:10 PM

A great page Mark! Now I'm sorry that we didn't take in the beautiful Monastery while we were so close. I loved the shadows on your opening Discoveries photo, the first time I've seen such a great shot from its West-side!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2004 at 11:33 PM

Fabulous page ...and I see the Portuguese trvael expert already helped you a lot ... :o)

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2004 at 12:46 PM

I wanted to go to Lisbon and Pont de lima next fall, now I see Belem deserves a visit as well!

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2004 at 12:58 PM

Enjoyed reading your Belém page. It is very accurate and looks like you did like your visit. It is one of my favourite places in Lisbon.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2003 at 11:22 AM

Hi Mark, i said i would flick through your pages, and im glad i did, all the best to you Cliff".

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2003 at 10:21 PM

What a wonderfully done page. I really enjoyed the photo Torre de Belém. Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing all this wonderful imfomations!;-)

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 7:16 PM

Amazing tower and details, a wonderful blend of styles. This whole district is amazing with its detail. The coffee stop sounds deliciously fattening:-)Wonderful coverage and photos despite the weather.

• salinhopt's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2003 at 8:23 PM

Great, great, great! You really caught the best corners and magic of this beautifull place born at Tagus river. You're a professional photographer. :)

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2003 at 1:28 PM

Portugal has a great history and you show us part of it. Portugal has a great history and you show us part of it.Great page about Belém. Thanks Thanks

• Amitu's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2003 at 11:14 AM

I did not see half of what you saw..spent only a couple of hours here..had a great time though

acemj