"Coimbra" Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra by acemj
Coimbra Travel Guide: 313 reviews and 746 photos
I cannot lie. Coimbra was a slight disappointment, but not because it wasn't a charming place. The sight of the city rising above the Rio Mondego is worth going out of your way for all by itself. Charming streets wind up toward the Old University, which tops the hill like a worn and rusted crown. Amazing azulejos cover the walls and elderly people stroll deliberately, smiling as they walk as if each step were adding to their wisdom.
I was disappointed because I wasn't expecting charm. I wasn't looking for quaint lanes and hearty food. My friend Andrew and I came to Coimbra looking for some youthful energy. Intentionally arriving on a Saturday, we expected to go out late and find a sleepless city full of students dancing, debating world affairs and drinking late into the night, but we hardly saw any students at all. Instead, Coimbra extended her hand and welcomed us with a courteous smile. She treated us well, offered up a silent night and left us well rested when we left. Thank you Coimbra, but next time turn the music up, fill up the bar and tell us we can sleep when we go home!!
Parque de Santa Cruz is off of Praca de Republica near the university and offers a number of peaceful spots to get away... more travel advice
We were walking around the riverfront on Sunday morning and noticed this boat floating by full of people partying. It... more travel advice
- See All Queima das Fitas
- Football Fever
- Bring plenty of film
- See All Great shopping square
- Don't spend too much time on VT
acemj's Related Pages
Coimbra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coimbra - A city to discover"
- "Coimbra is wonderful city."
- "A Portuguese Gem"
- "Coimbra through my eyes..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coimbra
- Hotels in Coimbra
- Transportation in Coimbra
- Nightlife in Coimbra
- Restaurants in Coimbra
- Shopping in Coimbra
- Warnings and Dangers in Coimbra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coimbra
- 37 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Coimbra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coimbra
Photos in CoimbraSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos