"Lisbon, Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon by acemj
Lisbon Travel Guide: 5,183 reviews and 12,799 photos
The word "Lisbon" always held a sense of magic and mystery in my own personal travel lexicon. Portugal's capital city brought images of unkempt streets and slightly run down buildings to mind as I pictured it as bordering on the Second World in terms of modern amenities and efficiency.
So, it was with mixed emotions that I wandered through this quickly modernizing city, hopping onto always on time trains, shopping in spotless shops and snapping photos of clean and well-kept monuments and buildings. After all, I came for the grunge!
Fortunately, I was able to spend some time exploring some of the older districts of town. I loved seeing clothes strewn on lines strung from neighborly windows and buildings whose walls looked like an old woman's makeup-less face, blotches of dark age showing up amidst cracks and flaws. The soft "ch" and "sh" sounds of the Portuguese language being spoken at hole in the wall cafes would often compete with the clattering noise of the city's historic trams winding their way up hills and squeezing through tight streets.
Lisbon's many charms are still apparent, but since an international Expo in 1998 and the Euro2004 soccer tournament, redevelopment is equally apparent and it's possible that much of the city's uniquely old and slightly tattered allure will begin to fade out in the years to come.
My suggestion is that you visit soon, before things change more than they already have. Prices are still well below par when compared to the rest of western Europe and the people are welcoming and helpful. You'll be entranced by the Manueline masterpieces of Belem, the spectacular views from the Castelo de Sao Jorge and the hilly, cluttered streets of the Alfama and Bairro Alto. You'll leave with memories of mosaic pavements, nights of dancing that run into mornings and food that will make you want to return for more.
The Portuguese also enjoy their bullfights and you can go see the sport in the praca de touros (bullring) off of Avenida... more travel advice
We rented a car and explored a good portion of central Portugal and beyond. It was great to be able to get out the... more travel advice
- See All A night at the movies
- See All Rustic Lisbon
- See All Ginginha!!
- See All Popmail
- See All Don't go home stinky!
acemj's Related Pages
Lisbon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Lisbon"
- "My home town"
- "Lisbon, Portugal"
- "saudades de Lisboa"
- "Ahh, LISBON....Esta tao bonita como sempre."
- "Lisboa the Capital of Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lisbon
- Hotels in Lisbon
- Transportation in Lisbon
- Nightlife in Lisbon
- Restaurants in Lisbon
- Shopping in Lisbon
- Warnings and Dangers in Lisbon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lisbon
- 80 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 77 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Lisbon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lisbon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos