"Sintra, Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Sintra by acemj
Sintra Travel Guide: 540 reviews and 2,170 photos
My visit to Sintra was made more memorable by unpredictable weather. When we first arrived, the clouds were thick and moving fast in the sky. As we visited various sights, we walked through mist and stood high atop cliffs being blown by tremendous winds. We literally disappeared in the clouds and emerged at the base of the mountain into puddle-filled streets. By the end of the day, we were running to the train station through a driving rain laughing all the way.
Most guidebooks tout Sintra as a virtually mandatory daytrip from Lisbon and it's easy to see why. The town sits on the rugged slopes of the Serra de Sintra. Its Old Quarter is a hilly jumble of interesting streets, touristy stores and varied architecture. You'll find some of the most important palaces and museums in Portugal as well as some beautiful homes and excellent hiking trails and parks.
Lord Byron famously referred to Sintra as a "glorious Eden" and even before the famous poet wrote these lines, Sintra was admired. The ancient Iberians called it the Mountain of the Moon and practiced all sorts of cult worship here and the Moors were so taken by the setting that they built a castle on one of the hills above the town which, to this day, provides spectacular views over the landscape below.
On a cold day in February, Sintra is not likely to be full of tourists, but I imagine that visiting in the summer would... more travel advice
After getting off the train, we began our walk toward the National Palace and this was one of the first buildings of... more travel advice
- See All Unesco fever and the long walk up the...
- What nightlife?
- A few things
acemj's Related Pages
Sintra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freshness near Lisbon"
- "The Pinnacle of Portugal !"
- "Keeweechic's Sintra"
- "Magic Town"
- "Sintra, Portugal"
- "THE NOBLE TOWN OF SINTRA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sintra
- Hotels in Sintra
- Transportation in Sintra
- Nightlife in Sintra
- Restaurants in Sintra
- Shopping in Sintra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sintra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sintra
- 27 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Sintra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sintra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos