Tomar Favorite Tips by acemj Top 5 Page for this destination
Tomar Favorites: 7 reviews and 7 photos
Favorite thing: The highlight of Tomar according to most of the guidebooks is the Convento de Cristo that watches over the town from high on the hill, but we didn't have the time to visit as we were headed to Coimbra that evening. The convent was founded in 1160 and was the headquarter of the Knights Templar who were an order of French knights who swore to protect the land from Muslim influences. It certainly looked impressive up above the historic Old Quarter, but don't overlook what's below. There are plenty of interesting shops, cafes and architectural details to be found while strolling around this pleasant part of town. We were only here for about two hours, but we were able to pop in to a couple churches and shops and grab a bit at a cafe before moving on.
Favorite thing: One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Tomar was because of this impressive aqueduct. Earlier in the trip, while in Spain, I had planned to visit the famous aqueduct in Segovia, but was unable to find the time. There was no way I was going to miss this one! After visiting the town of Tomar, we headed out on Rua de Leiria expecting to find the aqueduct easily just outside of town, however it proved somewhat of a challenge. Rua de Leiria winds up a hill on the northwest side of town and after driving for awhile we still hadn't seen it. Eventually, I looked over my shoulder and saw it behind me in the distance and realized I had passed it. Figuring that it could only be seen from a distance, my friend Pav and I pulled off the road and looked at it from a distance of at least of half a mile. Even from here it was a sight to behold, but we decided to head back toward town and see if there was any way to closer to it. After taking a few wrong turns and ending up on some private property, we eventually made it to a road that literally runs underneath the aqueduct. Situated in an isolated field behind the town, it looms like an enormous and beautiful relic from another place and time and being able to literally walk up onto the top of if was an experience that was simply unforgettable.
More Reviews (14)
acemj's Related Pages
Tomar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cidade Templaria"
- "Tomar, Portugal"
- "Tomar - pretty town with interesting convent"
- "Tomar - City of the Knights Templar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tomar
- Hotels in Tomar
- Transportation in Tomar
- Nightlife in Tomar
- Restaurants in Tomar
- Shopping in Tomar
- Warnings and Dangers in Tomar
- See All...
Explore the World
- Devils Island Hotels
- Fraser Island Hotels
- Port Orchard
- State of Meghalaya
- Balochistan Hotels
- Hato Mayor del Rey Hotels
Badges & Stats in Tomar
- 16 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Tomar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tomar
Photos in TomarSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos