"Tomar, Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Tomar by acemj
Tomar Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 349 photos
Tomar packs a lot of interesting sights into a relatively small space. I only spent a short time here, but I came away impressed by the number of imortant historical sights and the physical layout of the town. It was fun to walk around and take pictures of the historic center and to talk to a few locals along the way.
The River Nabao divides the historic Old Quarter from the rest of the city and makes it easy for the visitor to identify most of the major sights. The river runs loudly past the town, churning and making its waters brown with silt. As you pass over the bridge and into the Old Quarter, you are surrounded by charming off-white cobbled streets and the view of the Unesco-listed Convento de Cristo on the hill above. Before you leave, be sure to drive just outside of town and visit the impressive Aqueduto de Pegoes, which is truly a remarkable sight to behold.
This is not the place to come if you are looking for exceptional nightlife, over-the-top museums or top-rated restaurant cuisine. However, if you're looking for a great stop while touring Central Portugal or just a quiet daytrip from Lisbon, then Tomar is a perfect choice.
As with any Portuguese city, you'll want to make sure that you note all of the interesting azulejos that you're sure to... more travel advice
This church located at Praça da Republica is worth a look. When we visited there was a young guy in the back taking a... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Tomar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cidade Templaria"
- "Tomar, Portugal"
- "Tomar - pretty town with interesting convent"
- "Tomar - City of the Knights Templar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tomar
- Hotels in Tomar
- Transportation in Tomar
- Nightlife in Tomar
- Restaurants in Tomar
- Shopping in Tomar
- Warnings and Dangers in Tomar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tomar
- 16 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Tomar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tomar
Photos in TomarSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos