"The ORIGINAL Geysir" Top 5 Page for this destination Geysir by acemj
Geysir Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 266 photos
The word Geysir derives from the Icelandic very "to gush" and is the only Icelandic word to have made it into the English language (with the minor spelling change of "geyser"). There are geysers all over the world from Iceland to Peru to the United States to Kenya. In fact, there are around 800-1000 geysers worldwide (500 of them are in Yellowstone National Park in the USA), but the true origin of the word is here in the Southwest of Iceland in a place called Haukadalur and comes from one mighty hole in the ground: The Great Geysir.
The Great Geysir first erupted in the 14th century and went through periods of intermittent activity. It was dormant for much of the 20th century, but was reawakened by an earthquake in 2000 and was erupting up to eight times per day for awhile, but has since become decreasingly active. It now only erupts around once or twice a week.
I visited the geysers as part of the Golden Circle Tour that included Gulfoss and Þingvellir National Park, which made it easily accessible from Reykjavik. There is a hotel on site here, along with a visitor's center and a couple of restaurants and gift shops, but I can't imagine visiting this barren, albeit very interesting, landscape for more than a few hours.
You are unlikely to see the Great Geysir erupt, since its activity is down to about once or twice a week these days, but the smaller Strokkur is very reliable shooting water 15-20 meters into the air every seven or eight minutes. This is where the crowds will gather waiting for the show.
Most visitors who come here arrive via tour buses like this one. I wanted to try to see the sights of the Golden Circle... more travel advice
Across the street from the geyser field, you'll find a hotel with a gift shop as well as the Geysisstofa... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Geysir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Geysir and Surroundings"
- "The ORIGINAL Geysir"
- "What a wonderful Geysir!!!"
- "Shooting From The Ground !"
- "GEYSIRS EVERYWHERE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geysir
- Hotels in Geysir
- Transportation in Geysir
- Restaurants in Geysir
- Shopping in Geysir
- Warnings and Dangers in Geysir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geysir
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Geysir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geysir
Photos in GeysirSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos