"Zelve Open Air Museum and the Devrent Valley" Zelve by acemj
Zelve Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 135 photos
Visiting the Zelve Open Air Museum was a memorable part of my travels through Cappadocia. The only downside was that I was part of a tour, so my time was limited, but we spent a good hour and a half exploring the area and another hour or so exploring the nearby Devrent Valley, which is well worth a stop. The former monastic complex dates back to the ninth century and was used for religious purposes for around 400 years and then was primarily used as a village of cave dwellings and wine makers until the inhabitants were forced to abandon their homes in 1952 when the government ruled that it was unsafe because of the constant crumbling and and erosion of the rocks here.
Along with some amazing fairy chimney formations, you'll find some interesting churches with some surviving paintings as wells as some fascinating cave dwellings that can be explored. Some areas, however, will be blocked off due to rock falls or pending collapses of the structures.
There are dolmuses that ply the roads between Avanos, Goreme and Urgup that will drop you off at Zelve on request, or you can join one of the many tours that come through the area. It's also possible to rent bicycles, mopeds or cars to have even more freedom while visit the great Cappadocia area.
It was fun exploring the Zelve valley with some of the people in my tour group. Fortunately for me, I ran into some... more travel advice
While I was more interested in the geology (and the rocky playground) than the culture of the place, Zelve is no doubt a... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Zelve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zelve - Fairy Chimneys"
- "Zelve Open Air Museum and the Devrent Valley"
- "Zelve from my Eyes..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zelve
- 6 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Zelve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zelve
Photos in ZelveSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos