"Lake of the Mayans, Gringos Welcome." Top 5 Page for this destination Lago de Atitlán by acemj
Lago de Atitlán Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 409 photos
I can't really figure out why Lake Atitlán is not more well-known throughout the world. I mean, I knew all about Lake Como before I ever set foot in Italy. I learned about the legend of Nessie and Loch Ness when I was a kid. Somehow, images of Canada's Lake Louise have danced in my head for years. So, why didn't I know anything about Lake Atitlán until I started researching my trip to Guatemala?
The British author, Aldous Huxley once wrote, "Lake Como, it seems to me, touches on the limit of permissibly picturesque, but Atitlan is Como with additional embellishments of several immense volcanoes. It really is too much of a good thing." In all honesty, my impression of Lake Atitlán was slightly diminished by some persistent smoke and haze that seemed to be stubbornly clinging to the air just above the water. I just happened to be here during a time of year when there is a lot of burning of fields for agricultural purposes and this causes a cloud of pollution that doesn't help when trying to create magical photos.
However, there were enough afternoon breezes passing through that cleared the skies long enough for me to see what Huxley was talking about. This place is truly beautiful and the atmosphere is a cool mix of tourist activity, laid back travelers and easy going locals. The villages surrounding the lake are fascinating places to visit with local Mayans who go about their lives in traditional, flowing garments of bright orange, blue and red hand-woven threads.
When we were here during the spring, there was noticeable smoke hanging in the air due to agricultural burning that goes... more travel advice
If you're interesting in some adventure, I'd highly recommend trying paragliding. It involves running off the side of a... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Lago de Atitlán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lake Atitlan"
- "Surrounded by Vulcanoes"
- "Lake of the Mayans, Gringos Welcome."
- "Beautiful And Serene"
- "Lago de Atitlan"
- "Lago Atitlan"
- "Volcanoes overlooking the lake!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago de Atitlán
- Hotels in Lago de Atitlán
- Transportation in Lago de Atitlán
- Nightlife in Lago de Atitlán
- Restaurants in Lago de Atitlán
- Shopping in Lago de Atitlán
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago de Atitlán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago de Atitlán
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Lago de Atitlán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago de Atitlán
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Hair Salon near Center"
- updated a Lago de Atitlán Travel Page "Lake of the Mayans, Gringos Welcome."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Coffee"
- Commented on one of JenniferG's Lago de Atitlán travel pages
- Wrote a Review A few things to keep in mind . . . in Lago de Atitlán Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos