"A short stay in Guate City" Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City by acemj

Guatemala City Travel Guide: 175 reviews and 403 photos

I didn't really plan on spending any significant time in Guatemala City, but that's the good thing about traveling with a very loose itinerary. When my buddy Ryan and I met some new friends while in Antigua who happened to live in Guatemala City, we decided we'd spend our last night in the country in a nice hotel spending time with some locals who could show us around. We didn't see much, which gives me something more to see the next time I visit.

Guatemala City has a reputation for being a dangerous and dirty place that's not worth seeing at all. In fact, the vast majority of travelers only see the airport here, but I was intrigued after getting about an hour long driving tour of the four main zones of the center (Zones 1, 4, 9 and 10) where there are some interesting Colonial buildings and a distinctly modern feel that you won't find outside of the country's capital.

• Last visit to Guatemala City: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2006

• Mar 3, 2008 at 11:39 AM

hi there nice place guess what i work there jeje see you bye

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Nice tips!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2006 at 12:41 PM

Thanks for the tips . We're staying for only a night ...not sure what zone...so now I'll check it out.

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2006 at 8:59 PM

Enjoyed your Guate tips. Thanks!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 5:16 AM

Late on catching up ... what happened with the appetite at the Italian restaurant:-) Pacaya must have been awesome. Bummer about your camera being stolen. Good choice for a quick visit.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2006 at 2:14 PM

I am surprised to see modern Guatemala, even if it's not typical to the rest of the country. Great accommodation tips and on Volcan Pacaya. Bandits? Stolen camera? :-(

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 5:39 PM

Great page her Mark, sounds like you had a good trip. Sorry to hear about your camera, sounds a wee bit scarey. Very helpful info, cool you had friends there! Thanks :o)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 3:40 PM

A very interesting page Mark! My condolances re your camera. Your guidance on Zone 1 reminds me of our one night in downtown Belize City!! Sounds like you had a good time overall, even if dealing with all those zeros on the 'Q' bills is scarey at first!

• cheesecake17's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2006 at 10:54 PM

wow, did not know where to begining you been all over the place.:)..sushi in guate....que rico!!....U...

• Jmill42's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2006 at 10:46 AM

Wow great page! I love how short stays can change your image of a place and make you want to go back for more! Did your friend get his lovin?? lol Now how do I get to Zone 10....

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Guatemala City

Have you been to Guatemala City?

Latest Activity in Guatemala City