"San Antonio Palopó" San Antonio Palopó by acemj
San Antonio Palopó Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 38 photos
I love the way San Antonio Palopó clings to the edge of the steep hillside on the eastern shore of Lake Atitlan as if it were about to slide into the magical lake. The village is one of the more traditional Mayan villages in the region and is often included on the tour boat itineraries that circle the lake. If you're really interested in the culture of the locals, I'd recommend skipping the tour so that you'll be able to spend a more leisurely time exploring without the pressure of time constraints.
My time here was, unfortunately, very limited, so I only got a brief taste of life in this small Cakchiquel village. My initial impressions were that San Antonio Palopó is a little poorer than the other towns I visited and that it is farther off the beaten path. I imagine that there is no nightlife here, but that it would be a great place to escape to write a book or just to spend some time enjoying the natural beauty of the lake without the hustle and bustle of tourist-oriented commercialism.
My buddy Ryan and I were only in San Antonio Palopó for about an hour, which was just enough time for a quick stroll... more travel advice
Along the way to the church, you'll notice a very quiet and traditional village situated on a steep hillside on the edge... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
San Antonio Palopó Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Antonio Palopó"
- "A typical Cakchiquel Maya village"
- "San Antonio Palopo."
- "San Antonio Palopo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Antonio Palopó
- Transportation in San Antonio Palopó
- Shopping in San Antonio Palopó
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Antonio Palopó
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to San Antonio Palopó?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Antonio Palopó
Photos in San Antonio PalopóSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos