"San Antonio Palopó" San Antonio Palopó by acemj

San Antonio Palopó Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 38 photos

I love the way San Antonio Palopó clings to the edge of the steep hillside on the eastern shore of Lake Atitlan as if it were about to slide into the magical lake. The village is one of the more traditional Mayan villages in the region and is often included on the tour boat itineraries that circle the lake. If you're really interested in the culture of the locals, I'd recommend skipping the tour so that you'll be able to spend a more leisurely time exploring without the pressure of time constraints.

My time here was, unfortunately, very limited, so I only got a brief taste of life in this small Cakchiquel village. My initial impressions were that San Antonio Palopó is a little poorer than the other towns I visited and that it is farther off the beaten path. I imagine that there is no nightlife here, but that it would be a great place to escape to write a book or just to spend some time enjoying the natural beauty of the lake without the hustle and bustle of tourist-oriented commercialism.

• Last visit to San Antonio Palopó: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2005

Travelogues (1)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM

So, how is that Guatemalan coffee anyway? I think the locals were a bit spooked by Buddy or maybe it was those red shorts.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 9:05 AM

A great little page on this very scenic village Mark!! I agree that it would be nice just to chill out in a small 'local' spot like this for a while. Guatemala was a lot more interesting and friendly than I had expected.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 6:48 PM

Great shots of lanscapes and locals! I like especuially the last one in travelogue and this women sorting through coffee beans (boring job).

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2005 at 5:00 AM

Great page... you do good work, a credit to the namesake!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2005 at 7:29 AM

an interesting location & great pics ! ...so this is the place, where my coffee comes from...

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2005 at 8:45 PM

Mark, How do you manage to locate these places ? ... Wonderful travelogue !

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 7:11 AM

thanks for the fine info and pictures, Mark! elisabeth

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in San Antonio Palopó

Have you been to San Antonio Palopó?

Latest Activity in San Antonio Palopó