"San Pedro's easy living" Top 5 Page for this destination San Pedro La Laguna by acemj
San Pedro La Laguna Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 87 photos
San Pedro de la Laguna is another one of the many towns dotting the edge of Guatemala's picturesque highland Lake Atitlan. The lake is certainly the reason that most visitors come to this part of the world, but the towns also have a lot to offer in terms of culture and local lifestyle. San Pedro's culture has morphed in the last thirty or forty years from a place where locals went about their lives in the traditional ways to a place where locals are attempting to maintain their customs not only for the sake of their customs, but also to attract tourist dollars. In some ways, it seems like the poor man's version of Panajachel, but I'm sure San Pedro fans would call it the more peaceful, tolerant and Bohemian version.
My buddy Ryan and I were only here for an afternoon, but we enjoyed the atmosphere and on my next trip to Lake Atitlan, I'll definitely try spending a night here. After we got off the boat in San Pedro, we began exploring the town by finding a narrow dirt path that seemed to be mostly locally tread. We weren't here more than five minutes before we were talking to a guy named Indie from South Africa who was living here, bartending at one of the lakeside places frequented mostly by travelers. After asking him what we should do in San Pedro on limited time, he said, "First things first, you should have a joint with me." Ha! Thanks for the offer Indie, but that's not my thing. He was a nice guy, but we decided to set off on our own and take in the sights without any herbal enhancements. Apparently, there are no police here, so that type of thing is commonplace, making San Pedro a hippy paradise.
San Antonio Polapo is about a twenty minute ferry ride from San Pedro across the lake. There's really not a lot to see... more travel advice
I wasn't here long enough to really guage how the local economy is or what type of lifestyle the locals really have, but... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
San Pedro La Laguna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Pedro's easy living"
- "San Pedro la Laguna"
- "Great place to relax and hang out"
- "SAN PEDRO LA LAGUNA (A NOT SO CLEAN PLACE)"
- "Hippy little town"
- "A laid back corner of the world"
- "A lovely town on Lake Atitlan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Hotels in San Pedro La Laguna
- Transportation in San Pedro La Laguna
- Nightlife in San Pedro La Laguna
- Restaurants in San Pedro La Laguna
- Shopping in San Pedro La Laguna
- Warnings and Dangers in San Pedro La Laguna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Pedro La Laguna
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to San Pedro La Laguna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Pedro La Laguna
Photos in San Pedro La LagunaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos