"San Pedro's easy living" Top 5 Page for this destination San Pedro La Laguna by acemj

San Pedro La Laguna Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 87 photos

San Pedro de la Laguna is another one of the many towns dotting the edge of Guatemala's picturesque highland Lake Atitlan. The lake is certainly the reason that most visitors come to this part of the world, but the towns also have a lot to offer in terms of culture and local lifestyle. San Pedro's culture has morphed in the last thirty or forty years from a place where locals went about their lives in the traditional ways to a place where locals are attempting to maintain their customs not only for the sake of their customs, but also to attract tourist dollars. In some ways, it seems like the poor man's version of Panajachel, but I'm sure San Pedro fans would call it the more peaceful, tolerant and Bohemian version.

My buddy Ryan and I were only here for an afternoon, but we enjoyed the atmosphere and on my next trip to Lake Atitlan, I'll definitely try spending a night here. After we got off the boat in San Pedro, we began exploring the town by finding a narrow dirt path that seemed to be mostly locally tread. We weren't here more than five minutes before we were talking to a guy named Indie from South Africa who was living here, bartending at one of the lakeside places frequented mostly by travelers. After asking him what we should do in San Pedro on limited time, he said, "First things first, you should have a joint with me." Ha! Thanks for the offer Indie, but that's not my thing. He was a nice guy, but we decided to set off on our own and take in the sights without any herbal enhancements. Apparently, there are no police here, so that type of thing is commonplace, making San Pedro a hippy paradise.

• Last visit to San Pedro La Laguna: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 15, 2006

• conejita71's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2009 at 8:01 AM

beautiful!

• Aug 19, 2008 at 8:50 PM

I don't think that the ferry to San Pedro runs anymore. I only saw the "vomit boats" during the time that I was there. They charge white people 3 times as much as people that look like they are from Guatemala or Mexico.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2006 at 1:52 PM

I was fascinated reading this page its great Mark. About the 'little soldier' his mum probably told him not to speak to strangers!

• metteks's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2005 at 1:31 AM

Great tips on San Pedro La Laguna. I really liked that place very much

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 7:23 AM

Great write up on San Pedro La Laguna. Beautiful pics too.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2005 at 8:27 AM

A lovely insight Mark...loved the pic of the Volcano! Happy travels, Blu

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2005 at 9:15 AM

Beautiful photos and useful tips as usual. Still, I'm not sure this would be my kind of place. The volcano looks great, but I'd be satisfied with taking few shots from the distance like you did ;)

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2005 at 11:07 AM

Great page Mark! Sounds like a fun place to explore. I would love to travel for a year too! Very helpful information and beautiful photos. :o)

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 5:49 AM

Definitely laid back with cheap accomm. Sounds like you could get fit here :-) Chewing the fat with a Texan?..lol they get around. Definitely sounds worth some extra time.

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 12:05 PM

This place sounds quite unreal, almost like a dream ... would be great to spend a few months wandering those dirt lanes. Great page!

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in San Pedro La Laguna

Have you been to San Pedro La Laguna?

Latest Activity in San Pedro La Laguna