"Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay" Top 5 Page for this destination Colonia del Sacramento by acemj

Colonia del Sacramento Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 603 photos

A day with Andrea

Since I only had three days in Buenos Aires, I probably would not have taken the time to visit Colonia del Sacramento if not for the chance to meet VTer andal13 (Andrea). We had been discussing this trip for months and it was great to finally make it happen. The day turned out to be a great break from the busy streets of Buenos Aires.

She met me at the port (where was my rose, Andrea? :-) ) and we spent the day wandering the narrow streets of Colonia's historic center, taking photos and relaxing over a great meal at a sidewalk cafe. The weather that day could not have been any better. It was especially nice to have an Uruguayan there with me to tell me about her country's history and customs and more importantly, it was great to meet a new friend.

The town itself is a picturesque little maze of cobblestone streets and Portuguese-style buildings. Flowers adorn many windowsills and iron lamps protrude elegantly from cracked stucco walls. Trees full of wisteria hang lazily over the central square and a lighthouse stands watching over it all.

My day here was really relaxing. The perfect weather and great company made it a true pleasure. Hopefully, you will get to visit Colonia on a day equally bright and with a friend just as warm.

• Last visit to Colonia del Sacramento: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 1, 2003

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Wow, this is the beauty of VT. Here is a place I would not have even thought of and your wonderful pictures and information have me wanting to visit. Great job!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 5:06 PM

Enjoyed a fascinating virtual tour of Colonia. Great page. Cheers, SL

• bilgeez's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2005 at 6:14 PM

You are an ace, Mark, great job! I will have to visit Colonia when I go to Bs As next year!

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2005 at 3:27 AM

Interesting to read about a place I knew nothing about ... wonderful B/W pictures in album, Mark. Thanks for sharing.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2005 at 2:11 PM

Colonia d S. looks like quite an interesting stop Mark, especially with weather like you had! Those cobblestone streets reminded me of some we drove over in Argentina, they are really much rougher than the stone block streets of Portugal !!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2005 at 7:16 AM

Isn't it great to visit places that you would never have discovered if it weren't for VT and VT friends :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 8:20 AM

Wonderful page, Mark - and thanks for the tips, I hope to visit Colonia at the end of this year :-)

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 1:44 PM

Great page, Mark ! Thanks for introducing me in a place and country, I do not know.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 1:33 PM

Well it seems that Portuguese people were every where LOL I think i would fell at home if i were there. Great page Mark.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2004 at 8:02 PM

A day with my fairy godmother & u only asked for a rose? No wonder she's glaring, lol...

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Colonia del Sacramento

Have you been to Colonia del Sacramento?

Latest Activity in Colonia del Sacramento