"Under a gray sky in Lima" Lima by acemj

Lima Travel Guide: 1,198 reviews and 2,778 photos

It's hard to see Lima through the gray, polluted obvious mess that it is. For most of the year, a cloud called the garúa literally hangs over the city giving it a depressing atmosphere, but for those who are willing to see the colorful buildings and friendly people that dominate beneath the clouds, there are rewards to be had.

The country's largest city and political and economic center, is a magnet for poor Peruvians from the Amazon and the highlands to come and try to make a better life. This pull has created an ugly eyesore of shanty towns and poverty that surround the outer ring of the city and makes Lima slightly more dangerous from a crime standpoint than elsewhere in Peru.

So, why risk it? Well, Lima also has some of the best dining, museums, galleries, architecture and nightlife in the country and makes for a great introduction to Peru if this is your first stop. About one-third of the country's population lives here, so you'll see all cross-sections of Peruvian society here, from indigenous people to wealthy suburbanites of European descent.

We only had a couple days here and I felt like that wasn't enough. The excellent nightlife here kept us out late and sleeping in at our hotel didn't allow us to get up early and see nearly enough, but that's why I'll refer to this as my introductory trip to Peru. There's always more to see the next time.

• Last visit to Lima: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 26, 2006

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Very impressed by the beauty of the Plaza de Armas - also by your traveller's haircut. I can't say I've ever visited a barber whilst abroad. Sadly I think the time has passed as my hair now tends to shorten itself by falling out...

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Don't get pissed on Pisco :)

• Assenczo's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2007 at 8:24 AM

HA, we almost bupmed into each other there!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2006 at 10:19 PM

Interesting old Spanish colonial architecture and Pisco Sour adventures :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 7:55 AM

Some great architectural gems into downtown Lima, you have got to love that old Spanish colonial style!! Those Pisco Sours sound interesting and that shopping area in Miraflores is well situated. Looks like a good start to your trip!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 7:31 PM

Nice job! I think I'll go down there right soon.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 5:52 PM

Cerviche brings back memories....good to see you're drinking beer, whoever heard of drinking coke with roasted chicken? ;)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 9:35 PM

an interesting page and great pics, Mark ! Lima is one of the destinations I am planning to do one day as well !

acemj