"Under a gray sky in Lima" Lima by acemj
Lima Travel Guide: 1,191 reviews and 2,768 photos
It's hard to see Lima through the gray, polluted obvious mess that it is. For most of the year, a cloud called the garúa literally hangs over the city giving it a depressing atmosphere, but for those who are willing to see the colorful buildings and friendly people that dominate beneath the clouds, there are rewards to be had.
The country's largest city and political and economic center, is a magnet for poor Peruvians from the Amazon and the highlands to come and try to make a better life. This pull has created an ugly eyesore of shanty towns and poverty that surround the outer ring of the city and makes Lima slightly more dangerous from a crime standpoint than elsewhere in Peru.
So, why risk it? Well, Lima also has some of the best dining, museums, galleries, architecture and nightlife in the country and makes for a great introduction to Peru if this is your first stop. About one-third of the country's population lives here, so you'll see all cross-sections of Peruvian society here, from indigenous people to wealthy suburbanites of European descent.
We only had a couple days here and I felt like that wasn't enough. The excellent nightlife here kept us out late and sleeping in at our hotel didn't allow us to get up early and see nearly enough, but that's why I'll refer to this as my introductory trip to Peru. There's always more to see the next time.
At the end of Larco in Miraflores, you'll find a beautiful mall built into the cliffs overlooking the ocean. There are a... more travel advice
Okay, this night was a little blurry, so bear with me. We took a cab down to the heart of Barranco, which is just south... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Lima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El_Sueco's new Lima Page*)"
- "Lima from Callao"
- "It Never Rains in Lima, but Maybe it Should"
- "LIMA... HELL OF THE GODS!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lima
- Hotels in Lima
- Transportation in Lima
- Nightlife in Lima
- Restaurants in Lima
- Shopping in Lima
- Warnings and Dangers in Lima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lima
- 12 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Lima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lima
Photos in LimaSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos