"Viva Quito!" Quito by acemj
Quito Travel Guide: 1,075 reviews and 2,921 photos
I'm not sure why Quito (and really Ecuador as a whole) doesn't get the accolades of some of the other famous cities in South America. Peru has Lima and Chile has Santiago. Argentina has Buenos Aires and Brazil has Rio de Janeiro. But what about Quito? It doesn't really register on the minds of most travelers outside of South America. After visiting, I still don't know why.
At over 2800 meters, Quito is a city perched nearly on top and in the center of the world. The former keeps the city pleasantly cool, while the latter keeps it from the long and icy winters of other famous high cities such as Denver, Colorado. The approach by air into Quito is somewhat treacherous, but if you are fortunate enough to arrive on a clear day, it will be easy to see why it's been such a popular location since well before the Spanish colonized it and left an unmistakable mark on the architecture and culture of the city. The snow-capped mountains and forest-covered slopes surrounding the city provide a stunning backdrop for this quickly developing South American jewel.
Quito is the second largest city in Ecuador behind the bigger or more economically significant Guayaquil, however, Quito is the capital and is the more historically important and culturally alive of the two rival cities. The Old Town core is an amazing grid of cobbled streets, beautiful churches and Colonial charm. A few kilometers to the north, the more modern side of Quito reveals a forward thinking, youthful mindset, hip restaurants and a thumping nightlife scene, all of which conspire to attract an ever-increasing number of visitors from all over the world that decide to spend more than just one night before venturing off to the Galapagos Islands.
The highlight of my trip to Quito was meeting Catalina, who lives in nearby Cumbaya. Her hospitality and enthusiasm for Quito made my visit much more enjoyable and memorable and I will always be grateful to her for that.
There are a few other sushi places closer to the center of things (Sake is close to La Mariscal and Tanoshii is in the... more travel advice
The funny thing about La Mitad del Mundo is that it is, in fact, wrong!!! Ever since a scientific expedition determined... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Quito Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quito - Capital of Ecuador"
- "b1bob does Quito big time"
- "A city among volcanoes"
- "Thinking of South American Cities? Think Quito"
- "¡Bienvenidos a Quito!"
- "Connected with nature at the middle of the earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quito
- Hotels in Quito
- Transportation in Quito
- Nightlife in Quito
- Restaurants in Quito
- Shopping in Quito
- Warnings and Dangers in Quito
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quito
- 47 Reviews
- 132 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Quito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quito
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos