"Iguacu: Big Water" Top 5 Page for this destination Foz do Iguaçu by acemj
Foz do Iguaçu Travel Guide: 270 reviews and 645 photos
The name Iguacu derives from an Indian word meaning "big water" and the famous waterfalls that spill out of the forest here certainly fit the bill. Foz do Iguacu was my base of exploration as I wandered through the national parks in both Brazil and Argentina. Both are World Heritage Sites and both are worth seeing in order to get the full and inspiring impact of this natural wonder.
The town of Foz do Iguacu is a modern, but small place that has some decent shopping, dining and lodging options. And while I really enjoyed my time there, in ten years I wonder if there will be room in my memories for anything beyond the crashing water spilling over those lush, green jungle walls. That sight will stay with me forever.
I was traveling on an airpass with Varig (which I highly recommend if you're traveling to multiple destinations within Brazil) and my flight stopped in Sao Paulo on the way from Salvador to Foz do Iguacu. As I was waiting for my connecting flight in Sao Paulo, two rather attractive Varig representatives (effective tactic) approached me to see if I'd be willing to give up my seat and travel on the next flight to Iguacu. Since they had overbooked the flight and this would be completely voluntary on my part, they offered to upgrade me to first class, allow me to use the VIP loung facilities, pay for my lunch at the airport, provide me with ground transportation to my hotel in Iguacu and best of all, give me 200 reais for my trouble. Since the next flight was only going to get me to Iguacu a little over two hours late, I jumped at the opportunity. After all, I was originally scheduled to land just after 3 pm and I wouldn't have enough time to go to one of the national parks anyways. The flight ended up arriving in Iguacu just before 5:30 pm when the sun was starting to get low in the sky and the light was beautiful over the jungle surrounding the small city. I was well-pampered, well-rested and well-paid and life was looking good.
When employees reach fifteen years of emloyment with the hydroelectric plant at Itaipu, they get to plant a tree. This... more travel advice
Visiting the national park, you'll have many different sporting choices. Obviously, you can spend all day hiking around... more travel advice
- See All Money matters . . .
- See All Argentina
- A few things . . .
- See All A jungle hub
- See All Groceries
acemj's Related Pages
Foz do Iguaçu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iguacu: Big Water"
- "Doorway to the Falls"
- "Foz do Iguazu - Attractions All Around!"
- "Foz do Iguacu"
- "Gateway City to the best Waterfalls I've ever seen"
- "Defies description"
- "Gateway to Iguacu Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Foz do Iguaçu
- Hotels in Foz do Iguaçu
- Transportation in Foz do Iguaçu
- Nightlife in Foz do Iguaçu
- Restaurants in Foz do Iguaçu
- Shopping in Foz do Iguaçu
- Warnings and Dangers in Foz do Iguaçu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Foz do Iguaçu
- 39 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Foz do Iguaçu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Foz do Iguaçu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos