"Iguacu: Big Water" Top 5 Page for this destination Foz do Iguaçu by acemj

Foz do Iguaçu Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 639 photos

The name Iguacu derives from an Indian word meaning "big water" and the famous waterfalls that spill out of the forest here certainly fit the bill. Foz do Iguacu was my base of exploration as I wandered through the national parks in both Brazil and Argentina. Both are World Heritage Sites and both are worth seeing in order to get the full and inspiring impact of this natural wonder.

The town of Foz do Iguacu is a modern, but small place that has some decent shopping, dining and lodging options. And while I really enjoyed my time there, in ten years I wonder if there will be room in my memories for anything beyond the crashing water spilling over those lush, green jungle walls. That sight will stay with me forever.

Arriving in style

I was traveling on an airpass with Varig (which I highly recommend if you're traveling to multiple destinations within Brazil) and my flight stopped in Sao Paulo on the way from Salvador to Foz do Iguacu. As I was waiting for my connecting flight in Sao Paulo, two rather attractive Varig representatives (effective tactic) approached me to see if I'd be willing to give up my seat and travel on the next flight to Iguacu. Since they had overbooked the flight and this would be completely voluntary on my part, they offered to upgrade me to first class, allow me to use the VIP loung facilities, pay for my lunch at the airport, provide me with ground transportation to my hotel in Iguacu and best of all, give me 200 reais for my trouble. Since the next flight was only going to get me to Iguacu a little over two hours late, I jumped at the opportunity. After all, I was originally scheduled to land just after 3 pm and I wouldn't have enough time to go to one of the national parks anyways. The flight ended up arriving in Iguacu just before 5:30 pm when the sun was starting to get low in the sky and the light was beautiful over the jungle surrounding the small city. I was well-pampered, well-rested and well-paid and life was looking good.

• Last visit to Foz do Iguaçu: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2003

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Hi! I enjoyed reading your tips! The pictures are lovely too. You have definitely made me add Brazil to my wish list of travels! :-)

• schnaider's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2004 at 5:28 AM

Hi Mark! Wonderfull tips about my hometown! Shame on me, i couldnt describe it better than u did!!! :) congrats!!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2003 at 4:02 PM

What a great place to visit & excellent pics ! These waterfalls are on the top of my travel-dream-list...

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2003 at 3:49 PM

Wow, fantastic page Mark!!! The falls look amazing! Your page is a must read when visiting the region, excellent work!!!

• Maillekeul's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2003 at 1:05 PM

Great tips, unbelievable pictures... You're the future number 1 !!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2003 at 10:28 AM

Very interesting tips!! Hmm quieter Helicopters!! haha This area sure has some amazing water falls!!!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2003 at 4:36 PM

Amazing trip, amazing pictures and amazing page!

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2003 at 11:53 PM

Airport looks more like a smal train station, helpful page.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2003 at 4:23 AM

Well, that "Zaragoza" restaurant didn't seem too spanish after all, LOL. I guess your spanish is better than your portuguese, Mark! ;-)

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2003 at 10:09 AM

Another great journey, with great benefits for us-- superb photos, insightful tips... and a fantastic new member photo! Thanks Mark.

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Foz do Iguaçu

Have you been to Foz do Iguaçu?

Latest Activity in Foz do Iguaçu