"Salvador da Bahia" Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia by acemj

Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 636 reviews and 1,346 photos

When I was planning my trip to Brazil, I began to read about Salvador and it soon became clear that I would have to add it to my itinerary. I read about the historic center called Pelourinho (a UNESCO World Heritage site) with its colonial mansions and grand churches. I read about its unique African influenced culture that is evident in its food, music and religious traditions. I even read about its sunny weather and beautiful sunsets.

Well, two out of three ain't bad! Unfortunately, the weather didn't really live up to my expectations, but I still had a great time exploring the city and dabbling in its cultural offerings. I came away from Salvador with the confirmation that adding it to my itinerary was the right decision and a feeling that no trip to Brazil would be truly complete without a visit to this cultural wellspring.

• Last visit to Salvador da Bahia: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2003

Travelogues (1)

• el_ruso's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2006 at 11:45 AM

Great page, great photos, and very informative. Savador sounds like a wonderful place to visit some day.

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 11:07 AM

Totally unknown destination for me but I see it definitely deserves a visit. As usual, your personal style of writing (like in the tip about Fitas girl) is what makes your pages excellent.

• oceania26's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2006 at 11:23 AM

I'll be going to Salvador in a couple of months...nice to read about your adventures there.

• jelefant's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2006 at 7:53 AM

H. Stern is a wonderful store. I purchased a few pieces. There was no tax and made in Brazil, they were without duty. Many of the jewelry items in less known stores were equally expensive and not as well made. I recommend H. Stern. I´m hooked!

• bahiana77's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 8:15 PM

Yes, and if you take the air-conditioned executivo bus, which stops in Porto de Barra (as well as other popular destinations along the way) and goes on into Pelourinho, the cost is about R$4,00.

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2005 at 5:05 AM

Another very engaging page, Mark. Interesting to read about the 100kg of gold at the Igreja de Sao Francisco and the Fitas.

• Kittelite's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2005 at 2:10 PM

Sorry, but the tram, that is an alternative to the Lacerdo Elevator, is only 5 centavos too!

• sunlovey's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2005 at 2:28 PM

Just back from Salvador- I thought of your tip repeatedly as ribbon after ribbon was tied onto my wrist "as gift" from people with "shops" of necklaces dangling from their arms. I came home with a lot of ribbons and a lot of necklaces! hope all's well.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 4:55 PM

great tips, can't wait to get back to brazil and explore more.

• chicagodancer's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2004 at 8:16 AM

Great info and pics! I loved the info and very helpful. We will be on our way for Carnaval 2005!!

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia

Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?

Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia