"Lost and Found Around the World" emw.weaver's Profile

Past

Growing up, I never really left the southern United States. Sad, I know, but it is what it is. We did go on an Alaskan cruise and a Caribbean cruise, but that was pretty much it. I always had a passion for other cultures, traveling, and photography. These passions can't really be fulfilled living in Alabama.

So, once I graduated from high school, I packed it up and moved to beautiful eastern Tennessee at the base of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park to go to Maryville College. Four years of a small, liberal arts college set at the foothills of an amazing mountain was life-changing. We were pushed to travel and do things differently, but I never had the money to travel abroad.

So, after graduating, I packed it up once again and moved to Sacramento, California to spend a year in AmeriCorps NCCC. I spent a year traveling on the west coast spending anywhere from a week to 2 months in various cities on the western part of the country. We did service with non-profits and government agencies. So, in a span of 10 months, I planted trees for Sacramento Tree Foundation and led the Christmas program for Salvation Army in Sacramento. I painted houses at Commonweal Retreat Center in Bolinas, CA. I taught reading and worked at an after school program in Green River, Utah. I completely renovated a house and did fuel reduction at a camp in Polson, Montana. I shoveled snow for 3 weeks in July in Tahoe, CA. And lastly, I worked for the Mendocino National Forest Service doing trail work.

Upon finishing our 10 months of service, 3 friends and I road tripped from Sacramento all the way to Alaska for 3 weeks. After driving over 8000 miles to North Pole, Alaska and back we made our way back to our respective hometowns.

Present

Once, returning home I went to work to earn money and decide what was next in my life. Little did I know, but big things were in store. I received an email about a possible au pair job randomly in October.

During Americorps I had joined a website that matched people with families looking for Au Pairs. I had pretty much forgotten about until Debbie from Greece emailed me. Within a week, I was hired to care for her 3 children in Kifissia. So now, I am patiently waiting (well not really patiently) for my flight date to arrive, so I can jet off to Greece.

Future

My dream job is to be a National Geographic photographer. As I am sure this is the dream of millions of people, I don't let it keep me up at night. But I do want to travel and see as much as possible and use my photography to capture my adventures.

I am also almost done with my Peace Corps application, which terrifies me to no end. It is something I want to do more than anything, but the thought of pressing send makes me nauseous.

• Intro Updated Dec 18, 2011

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
emw.weaver's Profile Photo

emw.weaver

“I want movement, not a calm course of existence -Leo Tolstoy”

Ranked Member