"More Bentleys than a top league footbal team!" Carmel-by-the-Sea by hotlipz
Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,052 photos
As I've been to the United States for more than ten years now I have to say that not a lot surprises me about America. I have found the weird, the wonderful, the stereotypical and unusual but I have to say that Carmel even surprised me. This little town was just as if it was out of a chocolate box, beautiful - it even smelt nice because of all the flowers growing in the well kept front gardens (and no I cant call them 'yards' - these a just like English Country 'gardens'.
The houses - mostly shingle fronted cottages with picket fencing - have no numbers as most people in the US are used to - although of course a lot of houses in the UK just have names. Instead they are called for Example the house on the corner of next to the so and so - how quaint! We stayed in the Holiday Inn and even that didnt look like your run of the mill motel.
We were only in Carmel-by-the-Sea for a couple of days so had no chance of trying out all the eateries but where we did eat was well above the average. We had both our evening meals at the Hogs Breath Inn - previously owned by Clint Eastwood (I believe he still lives here and I can see why!) There is a lovely almost British style bar and a friendly, cosey restaurant with fires going and a wonderful courtyard. Set back from the main street it seems incredibly popular compared with some of the restaurants we passed on the way. I loved the food. It was good, old fashioned comfort food like steak, chops, ribs etc and there was a good selection of beer and wine.
For Breakfast we went to Katies - this was recommended by someone in Tiburon and I can see why it's so well known. Although the food can be a bit too much for us Brits the quality and selection was second to none. The kitchen is very busy and on full display so you can see whats going on. The service was exceptional.
...and the last place we ate was Alan's idea. We went to the very famous Carmel Cheese Shop and bought (you guessed it) some cheeses, salami, french bread and beer. The shop gave us napkins and forks and wrapped it all up. We headed off to the beach and spent the whole afternoon with our picnic, reading our books and chilling out! It was incredibly relaxing and the icing on the cake for me was meeting another Gordon Setter on the beach (and the owner of course) and exchanging notes on our common interest!
- Pros:it feels safe and friendly
- Cons:Like my home town it's very hilly and could be a challenge for some people
OK, so maybe this cant be classed as a restaurant but this really was one of the most pleasant meals we'd ever had. On... more travel advice
hotlipz's Related Pages
Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carmel By the Sea"
- "Quaint "Olde England" feeling in Carmel, CA"
- "Storybook Beach Town"
- "On the California Central Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Hotels in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Transportation in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Nightlife in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Restaurants in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Shopping in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Warnings and Dangers in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Carmel-by-the-Sea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Commented on one of Sandi-2004's Carmel-by-the-Sea travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Bentleys than a top league footbal team!"
- updated a Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Page "More Bentleys than a top league footbal team!"
- Wrote a Review Not so much a Restaurant..... in Carmel-by-the-Sea Restaurants
- Posted in Travel Forum "Bed and Breakfast in California"
Photos in Carmel-by-the-SeaSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- San Diego Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Kenya Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guildford Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
- Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- California Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Brussels Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Lake Havasu City Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Grand Canyon Intro, 2 photos
Latest Carmel-by-the-Sea hotel reviews
- Carriage House Inn
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Coachman's Inn Carmel
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 31, 2013
- Cobblestone Inn
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Candle Light Inn
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Adobe Inn
- 167 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Carmel Mission Inn
- 641 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 19, 2013
- The Tradewinds At Carmel-By-The-Sea
- 221 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Tally Ho
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Cypress Inn
- 310 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Clarion Collection Carmel By The Sea
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Quail Lodge Resort And Golf Clu
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Highlands Inn Park Hyatt Carmel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Carmel Country Inn
- 355 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Carmel River Inn
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Best Western Carmel's Town House Lodge
- 189 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013