"Iceland, November 25 - 29th 2011." Iceland by Bonkers11

Iceland Travel Guide: 6,463 reviews and 20,332 photos

The Plan

Ok, so there was no real PLAN to come back to Iceland but after consulting a friend and they could only take a long weekend, it was decided upon. Iceland has what we wanted to offer. The Northern Lights and a completed chilled out weekend. It wasn't difficult to know who to book with. Discover the World has been on many peoples lips, as have other companies, when it comes to this type of holiday. The price doesn't seem to have altered that much in the years since my last visit, although twin rooms are always more economical than single ones. £911 for a Friday to Monday trip at the Northern Lights Inn. The flights times - leaving Heathrow at 13:00 on a flight that doesn't provide food and leaving Kevlavik at 09:00 Monday morning, an evening return flight would cost an extra £50 or so.

Insurance and Currency and the flight and hotel

The insurance I guess for most people would be a breeze, for me, an hour on the phone going through medical screening at last sees me with cover.
What I wasn't prepared for is that you canot get ISK's in this country, CC it!

Icelandair flight 13:00 from Heathrow on Friday 25th cost £250 roughly
Apparently this airline no longer gives you a meal but a complimentary soft drink,
The hotel - Northern Lights Inn

The holiday

Travelling from King's Lynn to Heathrow turned out not to be too bad, the 7.20 train got us in to London, across London and arrving at Heathrown at 1045 so we checked in , managing to get a seat on the right hand side, although this seemed pointless as it was dark when we arrived so we couldnt really see much.
The Northern Lights Inn picked us up at the airport, they were there to meet us and it took about 20 minutes to get to the hotel.
People have made various comments about the hotel beign in the middle of nowhere, the power station beign noisey and so on, which I will make reference too now. The Power Station is right next to the hotel and this is rather a shame as it creates alot of lightpollution, the noise I dont think really bothers people when they are in the hotel, it cannot be heard it is only a hissing and a small generator type nose.
The first dayWhat I would say is that you are in a bowl so that the mountains block alto of the views across the land to the horizon.
The rooms were warm and comfortable. There is an honesty bar which seems to work well. The service is in our opinion a little bit lackzidaisical. I asked for some Ice one night for our gin and tonics and after waiting ten minutes gave up, it never arrived.
The food was delicious, Catfish in a salmon sauce is well recommended as is the Lamb.
The Golden Circle on day one was wonderful, spending al day in the coach was tiring but we got to see the geysers and waterfall, the seat of parliament.

We did see the northern lights but it was more akin to a cloud going across the sky, it was green and it lasted about twenty minutes.

Day two we went and swam at the blue lagoon ( free entry if you book with Discover the world) and had a spot to eat, then wwent back later to have dinner.

Prices for things 4 meals ( 2 people 2 nights)
a bottle of sparkling wine, a bottle of regular wine,
2 coffees
2 gin and tonics
2 ports
roughly £250

Golden circle tour roughly £50 each

• Last visit to Iceland: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

Bonkers11

“Have Passport will travel”

Badges & Stats in Iceland

Have you been to Iceland?

Latest Activity in Iceland