Auckland Things to Do Tips by Kitty82
Auckland Things to Do: 419 reviews and 702 photos
View of Auckland from North Head
Devonport was one of the highlights for me when I went to Auckland. Located on the north shore it is just a 12 minute ferry ride away from downtown Auckland. (This is one of the best ways to see the Auckland skyline by the way - keep camera in hand!) When you step off the ferry you can immedialtly see that this quaint suburb has a very village-like feel to it with bars cafes and restaurants filling the streets. I walked around Torpedo bay and along Devonport Beach to take in the atmosphere. I could have easily spent all day here. A lot of people come to Devonport to go up to North Head which was used as a military coastal defense base during the last century. There are still tunnels to view today. North head also gives you fantastic view of Auckland and Rangitoto Island as well as the Hauraki Gulf. I recommend everyone to come here!
Address: North Shore of the City.
Directions: Across harbour bridge or by ferry.
Parnell Rose Gardens
Located near downtown Auckland, Parnell Rose Gardens is a good way to spend a hour or two of your day. There are a variety of roses to look at which some have been made by international rose breeders.
Directions: Suburb of Auckland, near the inner city.
Auckland Museum from Auckland Domain
The Domain is located centrally and is the largest and oldest park in Auckland. The park contains the huge war memorial and is also home to a wintergarden which holds two glasshouses of tropical plants.
You could easily spend half a day here as there are also many walking tracks that take you through waterways and bushland settings.
Address: Auckland City
Directions: Between Grafton and Parnell
Mission Bay Fountain
Tamaki Drive hugs the waterfrount of the easterns bays of Auckland and seems to be the place to be for walking, jogging and any exercise in general. I took the bus from Auckland city to Mission Bay and really enjoyed the scenic drive.
Once you reach Mission Bay you will find that it is a perfect spot for a family day out. Restaurants and cafes fill one side of the street while on the other you will find white sandy beaches and grassy ares for having a picnic. Its a very busy place - I would imagine so especially in summer so if your driving I advise you to get there early enough for a park!
Address: Tamaki Drive
Mt eden crater
After seeing pictures of Mount Eden, I made sure I made the stop there - and Im so glad I did! Getting off at Mount Eden station I walked up one of the many walking trails. Even though I was exhusted after the walk (as well as dodging cattle and sheep), it was well worth it - what an awesome view of the city you get! Aswell as the view there is another reason why you should come to Mount Eden - and that is to see the massive 50 meter deep crater which was made by a volcano that erupted thousands of years ago. Please dont miss out of comming here - you will be glad you did!
Address: 250 Mount Eden Rd, Mount Eden
Directions: Mount Eden Domain
More Reviews (2)
Kitty82's Related Pages
Auckland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Auckland"
- "AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS"
- "Between Rainforest and Traffic Jam"
- "Auckland - City of Sails."
- "Auckland - City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auckland
- Hotels in Auckland
- Transportation in Auckland
- Nightlife in Auckland
- Restaurants in Auckland
- Shopping in Auckland
- Warnings and Dangers in Auckland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auckland
- 7 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Auckland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auckland
Photos in AucklandSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Auckland Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Echuca Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos
- Fraser Island Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hornsby Intro, 16 reviews, 5 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Patonga Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Sydney Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Skytower Complex and Casino- 59 Reviews, 123 Photos
- Auckland Museum and Domain- 44 Reviews, 100 Photos
- Queen Street & Downtown- 29 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Devonport- 22 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Mt Eden- 18 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Kelly Tarltons Underwater World- 18 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Parnell- 19 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Albert Park & Auckland University- 16 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Viaduct Basin & Downtown waterfront- 15 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Auckland Zoo- 14 Reviews, 27 Photos
See All Auckland Things to Do