"Tokyo!" Tokyo by PRhymer

Tokyo Travel Guide: 4,428 reviews and 11,305 photos

Day 1

The first day we just went straight from the airport to our hotel, through the edges of a typhoon. My jet lag started to kick in, helped by the realization that I couldn't read ANY of the tons of signs we passed by. Not that I expected the signs to be in English. I just had no idea how strange it would feel to be illiterate.

Day 2

The next day we visited the US Embassy, the Japanese Ministry of Education (I think) and the exchange group's office where we had lunch and some free time to go around outside the building they're in. A few of us spent a long time being amazed by random stuff in a convenience store and also went to a local shrine. Later on back at the hotel we were given 1,000 yen each to get dinner where ever we wanted so long as it was near the hotel. I and two others decided to go get some money exchanged for yen and ended up at the nearest post office to do that. We chose a restaurant to eat at across the street, Sangokuichi, based on seeing their food displays. It turned out to be a great choice.

After dinner we browsed around a huge electronics store. They had some crazy stuff. It was awesome.

By then it was starting to get dark out, so we got to see the lights of Shinjuku at night on the way back to the hotel, just like I'd seen in pictures before I'd ever imagined I'd see them in person.

Day 3

The third day we had to get up early (not very hard with the jet lag) and leave to go to our host families, which for me meant going to Tokyo Station, and in the process nearly destroying my guitar in the middle of a huge street. Then I got to take a sweet shinkansen ride to Nagoya during which I got to see Mt. Fuji, pretty much the same shot as in Lost in Translation.

• Last visit to Tokyo: Jun 2004