"Pretty Much Addicted to Travel" PRhymer's Profile

Now

I'm a graduate student in the US who loves to travel. I've been able to see a lot with my family, on my own through summer programs, and with my husband. I feel so lucky to have been able to experience such awesome places and cultures and can't wait for new adventures with my wonderful husband!

The Beginning - Traveling With My Family

My first real trip "overseas" was in 6th grade, when my family found a good deal on a southern Caribbean cruise. We found out that we preferred to stay away from the organized tours and find our own things to do.

Our next two trips again came about after seeing amazing deals online. For both we passed up on some of the main tourist attractions in order to find less-crowded places where we could enjoy ourselves without getting run over.

Our first was to Paris and on the way our flight was overfilled so the airline offered $1,000 in free travel plus all meals and a hotel before the next flight out to anyone willing to be "bumped." My family took the deal, so we lost a day in Paris but we gained much more later when my mother and I were able to book a discounted cruise in Europe because the bump money covered getting there. My parents and I also did a fly and drive trip to Ireland. It was great to be able to go to small towns and out of the way places, some where people still spoke Gaelic with each other.

Getting some independence in Japan and Turkey

My next big trip wasn't for a few years. On my second try I received a scholarship for a student exchange to Japan for the summer of 2004, the summer before my senior year of high school. I spent 6 weeks with a host family in Kuwana (near Nagoya) plus a week before that split between an orientation at San Jose State University and Tokyo. My host father took me on a day trip to Kyoto and we also did a family road trip to Ise, home to the most important Shinto shrine in Japan.

I spent the summer of 2007, before my junior year of college, working in Izmir, Turkey. It was an amazing experience! I was also able to travel to Greece and Bulgaria during my time off, both of which were great. Altogether I was gone for 3 months and one week. AJ was able to visit towards the end of that time when I had a week off. It was his first time to travel outside of the US/Caribbean so I was nervous about how he'd like it, but we had a great time!

Dragging My Husband Around the World

Our first big trip as a married couple was our honeymoon where we went to Peru and Argentina. It was awesome spending our first Christmas in the Andes and our first New Years dodging fireworks in the streets of Buenos Aires.

Most recently we went to Paris and New York City as a sort of last hurrah before I began graduate school (and partly in celebration of getting in). We visited Paris in May, before the tourist season got too big, which let us avoid the worst of the crowds and get a good deal on airfare. We also rented an apartment for the first time and loved it! It was cheaper than a hotel would have been and let us have a tiny bit more space and a taste of Parisian life.

A few months later we visited New York City. My family is from around there and I used to visit each year but hadn't been back for a long time. It was wonderful spending time with my grandmother and a lot of fun seeing the city as an adult, checking out different neighborhoods and trying new foods!

Where Next?

Following my first year of grad school I made some big progress on genealogy research. When my husband and I returned to New York City in May 2012 we returned to the Lower East Side with an exciting goal: go see the tenement building my family lived in in 1910! With a copy of the census page in hand, we trekked to Henry Street and found the one. It was incredible! I have more research findings to track down in person including some more spots in the Lower East Side (the buildings no longer exist, but we'll get as close as we can), and Brooklyn.

• Intro Updated Sep 26, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!