"Vegetarian in Hunters Paradise" Leesville by NotFromHere

Leesville Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 13 photos

Food

After trying a few local restaurants, I continue to hunt for a favorite place to eat! Service is generally slow across the board and most of what they sell in town can be made at home by non-cookers better and cheaper. Being a vegetarian limits food options in this region. If you're a herbivore and are dying for something fresh and healthy, I have yet to find an option for you here. We end up traveling to Lake Charles to enjoy Izzo's Illegal Burrito every now and then, but other than that, you'll have to settle! I wish some of the local places extended their menus, but again, this is central Louisiana, not San Diego.

Leesville Restaurant Reviews

Some of the places I've tried over the past 12 months include:

The new Sandy Hill Cafe off the 467 and they have a few vegetarian options, however, most of what they offer is fried or has processed cheese.

The Booker-Lewis House offers a spinach salad with balsamic dressing, however it's literally just a plate of fresh spinach with few strawberry slices and little feta cheese. You'll be starving still by the time you finish it. They have great service. We never think of going there though due to it having various closures due to events.

Pizza Hut (near Wal-Mart) has changed management a few times over the past year it seems like. In the beginning it would take up to 2 hours to have the pizza ready for pick-up. Be prepared to wait awhile still and they mess up the order 50% of the time. We "accidentally" had meat on our pizza several times. Yes, I've stopped going there due to simply not wanting to deal with explaining and waiting for a pizza. They've ran out of breadsticks a few times too. Not sure how that happens at a Pizza Hut, but true story! Frequency visited: 2-4 times a month.

Subway in Wal-Mart...hmmm...If you have the time to go to the one on 171 or another location, do so. They ALWAYS miss charge you. They don't know what goes on sandwiches which causes the customer to describe, in detail, what goes on what sandwich. Crews complain to customers that the shift prior messed stuff up or that the shift they're working isn't the normal shift and they don't know how the sandwiches are made during the shift. Yes, sad, but true. Extremely frustrating as a customer, especially since the menu is right there with prices and all.

Wagon Master...I haven't tried it simply due to the fact that I've never heard one positive thing about it and it's a steak house. Enough said.

Hana. I was surprised to see a Japanese restaurant in a town like this. From what I experienced, it was good but the hibachi side was extremely greasy. The green ice cream wasn't that great. Atmosphere was nice and staff was friendly. I'll go back to try vegetarian sushi eventually.

Mexican restaurant next to Wheel Mart/Marble Slab area. I ordered several sides so I could make my own vegetarian dish. Tortilla's weren't homemade and I could've purchased all the same items at WalMart and ate the same thing for 7 days for the price it cost me for one meal. My boyfriend got nachos and they weren't that great. We haven't been back since. Again, service was slow and quality wasn't very high.

Mexican restaurant on Billy Goat Hill. Congrats by the way for knowing what I'm referring to. Apparently it's known as not a good area by "locals" lol. Ahhh I ordered a guacamole salad and well, I literally got a small scoop of guacamole on the top of a cup of shredded lettuce for like $6.95. Left hungry and haven't been back. Again the boyfriend tried nachos, and again, was disappointed.

Snowballs in New Llano just up the street from the firehouse. This was a surprising treat and I was thrilled to see a "no smoking" sign posted! This place is clean, workers are professional and courteous, and they serve a great chocolate snowball with cream! Can't wait until they open back up next spring!

Domino's on the 171 near Enterprise. It's really dirty in there, however, the staff seems to know what they're doing. We've never had any issues with them and the pizza has never been screwed up. Way to go! Frequency: 3-5 times a year.

Marble Slab. Great place for ice cream! Haven't had any problems with them. Wish it was a Cold Stone, but it's a good treat and they have great fundraisers for local organizations. Frequency visited 3-5 times a year.

Have you tried a restaurant in Leesville recently? Please add your comments to help out those who haven't tried it yet!

Donut Shops in Leesville

Leesville Donuts. Thank God they started making better donuts! Lucky Donuts closed shortly after we got here and we sore that all the donut shops here in Leesville were made by one distributer with low standards. Over the past year, Leesville Donuts has stepped up the game and out preformed the others. Frequency visited: 3-4 times a month.

Bailey's Bakery is closed on Sunday's and Monday's and hours are limited making it difficult to hit them at the right time. Selection isn't that great. We did order a King Cake though and it was worth the extra money! I haven't tried anything else from there, but their cakes look nice on their facebook page.

The Donut Palace tries hard, however, it seems like whomever is running it doesn't have much of a business background. The recently added a lunch menu...haven't tried that but the donuts are ok there. It's an odd set-up and with a bit more work/effort the place could look better in appearance and would probably attract more customers.

• Last visit to Leesville: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 22, 2011

Comments

NotFromHere Used To Live Here!

NotFromHere

“Do as much as possible and look for affordable options!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Leesville

Have you been to Leesville?

Latest Activity in Leesville