"Wwoofing in the Pyrenees" Quirbajou by sherioz

Quirbajou Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos

Wwoofing, a way to travel cheap

I took a chance and committed myself to two weeks doing volunteer work on an organic farm in the Pyrenees, southern France. My hosts, Stephane and Francoise, were wonderful. They are hard-working and happy to teach their guests all they know about organic farming, animal husbandry and cheese making. I worked hard, learned a lot, improved my French, and had a great time.

The town of Quirbajou is a small quiet town, with friendly people. My hosts took me to a shuk in both Quillan, on Saturday, and Esperanza, on Sunday. Otherwise, I spent the whole two weeks on the farm and enjoyed every moment.

Hikers come through and many spend the night at the bed and breakfast that Stephane and Francoise run. So we are always meeting new people. Most of them are Francophone. But Stephane and Francoise do speak English.

I recommend this way of travelling (wwoofing), and specifically, Stephane and Francoise as your wwoofing hosts. Their farm is called: La Maison Jaune.

I have written a bit more about my time here on squidoo. Look here:

• Pros:cheap, meet good people, satisfaction of helping others, learn new skills or languages
  • Cons:hard work, lack of luxuries (if that is important to you)
  • In a nutshell:La Maison Jaune is a great way to visit the Pyrenees
  • Last visit to Quirbajou: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Quirbajou

Have you been to Quirbajou?

Latest Activity in Quirbajou