"Caves and the Castle" Postojna by zadunajska8
Postojna Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 538 photos
The big draw to Postojna - and what got me here - is the world famous Postojna Jama or Postojna caves with their spectacular formations. See the individual review for details of this attraction.
Around the Caves a whole town of tourist industry has grown. This seems to almost entirely comprise restaurants of fairly poor quality and high price and shops selling overpriced tat that you can find in souvenir shops...well anywhere in Europe really.
In short - it's a bit of a tourist trap. But that doesn't mean the caves aren't worth visiting just the once. But ignore the shops and go and have a picnic in the gardens nearby rather than eating the poor quality tourist fare in the restaurants.
I only visited the castle because we happened to have been in the area to see the caves. In retrospect the castle would have been worth the journey to visit in it's own right.
The villages and countryside nearby are well worth a slow journey on a sunny day as well but watch out for bears and wolves in the forests.
- Pros:Amazing caves and castle- well worth seeing
- Cons:A bit of a tourist trap
- In a nutshell:Amazing attractions - but prepare to pay for it
The name of the castle "Predjamski Grad" describes it perfectly - it's the castle ("Grad") in front of ("pred") the cave... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
Postojna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The cave you must visit"
- "Posotjna Caves"
- "Postojnska Jama: wonderful caves"
- "The magical subterranean world of Postojna"
- "Postojna Caves and the Human Fish"
- "Slovenian Swiss Cheese"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Postojna
- Hotels in Postojna
- Transportation in Postojna
- Restaurants in Postojna
- Shopping in Postojna
- Warnings and Dangers in Postojna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Postojna
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Postojna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Postojna
Photos in PostojnaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos