"Caves and the Castle" Postojna by zadunajska8

Postojna Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 539 photos

World Famous Caves

The big draw to Postojna - and what got me here - is the world famous Postojna Jama or Postojna caves with their spectacular formations. See the individual review for details of this attraction.

Around the Caves a whole town of tourist industry has grown. This seems to almost entirely comprise restaurants of fairly poor quality and high price and shops selling overpriced tat that you can find in souvenir shops...well anywhere in Europe really.

In short - it's a bit of a tourist trap. But that doesn't mean the caves aren't worth visiting just the once. But ignore the shops and go and have a picnic in the gardens nearby rather than eating the poor quality tourist fare in the restaurants.

Predjama Castle

I only visited the castle because we happened to have been in the area to see the caves. In retrospect the castle would have been worth the journey to visit in it's own right.

The villages and countryside nearby are well worth a slow journey on a sunny day as well but watch out for bears and wolves in the forests.

• Pros:Amazing caves and castle- well worth seeing
  • Cons:A bit of a tourist trap
  • In a nutshell:Amazing attractions - but prepare to pay for it
  • Last visit to Postojna: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM

We were in Crotia and Slovenia in 2011 on our way to the 2011 VT euromeet in Macedonia.I agree about the caves...we were in a overcrowded English group.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Did you have a chance to see Skojcan as well? I thought Postojna was interesting but Skojcan was spectacular! Like being in the Lord of the Rings

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

We had the same experience as the English speaking group was very large.......There are other caves I have been told...Skocjan...not so touristy

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Troy, I wonder if it would have been possible for a guide to carry a microphone with her, such a simple thing in our Hi-Tech age... Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing your experience here! ~ Keep well! ~

“If I haven't been there yet, then I probably want to go”

Badges & Stats in Postojna

Have you been to Postojna?