"Pretty Little Town on the Dutch/Belgian Border" Sluis by zadunajska8
Sluis Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 25 photos
Sluis is a tiny little Dutch town jammed right up against the Belgian border. It's a pretty place with a number of lovely old buildings including the windmill and Belfort which actually together sum up the town - the windmill is typical of the Netherlands and the Belfort is typical of the town's Flemish heritage.
The place is mainly a shopping destination for Belgians who pile across the border for the day. Shopping isn't really the thing that I want to do most when I travel but there are some interesting shops and some good bargains to take advantage of (I got some fantastic candles at a great price!).
Other than the shopping there is only a fairly limited amount of things to do and see and 1 day will be more than enough to enjoy the town, but do enjoy it.
Unfortuantely the success of the town as a tourist destination can also be a bit of a drawback. It's such a small place that capacity is going to have to be limited. On the hot a sunny Sunday that we visited the town was literally heaving with people and it was extremely difficult to find any café or restaurant where we could get a table to have a drink or to eat lunch, even though a very high percentage of businesses in the town are actually eating and drinking establishments.
- Pros:Pretty little town with some lovely buildings
- Cons:Can get very crowded on Summer weekends
- In a nutshell:A nice day out, but just a day.
Back in the middle ages Sluis had two churches. One was demolished in 1605 and the other burnt down in 1811. That church... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
Sluis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pretty Little Town on the Dutch/Belgian Border"
- "The only belfort in the Netherlands"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sluis
- 3 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Sluis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sluis
Photos in SluisSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos