"Buda & Pest - A Tale of Two Cities" Budapest by zadunajska8

Budapest Travel Guide: 7,729 reviews and 17,912 photos

My Visit in November 2011

I visited Budapest in November 2011 for a long weekend with a friend. We stayed at the Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge and so were lucky enough to enjoy a very central location.
Being November it was always going to be a little chilly. We weren't disappointed as it stayed around -5 to +5 C throughout our time here. The good thing about Budapest is that it is quick to get around and so it doesn't take long to get to the next place where you will warm up.
In terms of general impressions of the city - I liked it. It is a clean city overall (there is graffiti but streets are still well swept, and cleaned and generally standards seem high) and it feels like a very safe place. We never felt threatened or in danger anywhere.

Buda

Buda is the part of Budapest to the west of the Danube. It includes (in my opinion) the most picturesque parts of the city. There are a number of key attractions here including The Hungarian National Gallery, Matyas Church and the Fishermans Bastion.

Pest

Pest is the other side of Budapest (on the eastern side of the Danube) and whilst lacking the immediate charm of Buda it is the more 'living, breathing' part of the city and has a number of key attractions including St Stephens Basilica, the Hungarian Parliament and the House of Terror.

• Pros:Clean city, great sights and still fairly cheap.
  • Cons:Language is very challenging!
  • In a nutshell:Surprisingly captivating city with more to offer than goulash!
  • Last visit to Budapest: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2012

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Great pics and pages and they bring back such great memories.....

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2012 at 3:46 AM

First rate VT page on Budapest, Troy! I hope to end my Central Europe trip next year in the city so your tips have given me some great inspiration. I didn't realise you could tour inside the Parliament building so that is definitely something to add to the list of things to do when I'm there.

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Ah yes Budapest - my 2nd favourite city (and there ain't no #1)! I didn't know about the "zero" thanks for that - my problem with Budapest is that I seem to get all my culture from the inside of the bars - HA! BTW great HP too and tx for the Utrecht visit.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM

An excellent page and its great to see the interior of the parliament here as well, as I always missed that so far !

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Thanks Dee, the parliament really is well worth a visit. It will be time well spent.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Troy, Really enjoyed reading your review's on Budapest. I really would like to tour the inside of Parliament building, it looks so grand! Excellent page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Hello, Troy! Budapest is a great destination indeed!~ I wish I could visit it some day...

zadunajska8

“If I haven't been there yet, then I probably want to go”

Badges & Stats in Budapest

Have you been to Budapest?