"Buda & Pest - A Tale of Two Cities" Budapest by zadunajska8
Budapest Travel Guide: 7,729 reviews and 17,912 photos
I visited Budapest in November 2011 for a long weekend with a friend. We stayed at the Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge and so were lucky enough to enjoy a very central location.
Being November it was always going to be a little chilly. We weren't disappointed as it stayed around -5 to +5 C throughout our time here. The good thing about Budapest is that it is quick to get around and so it doesn't take long to get to the next place where you will warm up.
In terms of general impressions of the city - I liked it. It is a clean city overall (there is graffiti but streets are still well swept, and cleaned and generally standards seem high) and it feels like a very safe place. We never felt threatened or in danger anywhere.
Buda is the part of Budapest to the west of the Danube. It includes (in my opinion) the most picturesque parts of the city. There are a number of key attractions here including The Hungarian National Gallery, Matyas Church and the Fishermans Bastion.
Pest is the other side of Budapest (on the eastern side of the Danube) and whilst lacking the immediate charm of Buda it is the more 'living, breathing' part of the city and has a number of key attractions including St Stephens Basilica, the Hungarian Parliament and the House of Terror.
- Pros:Clean city, great sights and still fairly cheap.
- Cons:Language is very challenging!
- In a nutshell:Surprisingly captivating city with more to offer than goulash!
It doesn't sound fascinating does it - the Museum of Ethnography? You'd be suprised though. It's actually quite an... more travel advice
The Hungarian Parliament is gothic grandeur in it's extreme. It's clearly built to impress and I would have guessed it... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- "I could get used to this!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 26 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
- Posted in Travel Belgium Forum "Re: Things to do"
- Commented on one of zadunajska8's Budapest travel pages
- updated a Budapest Travel Page "Buda & Pest - A Tale of Two Cities"
- Wrote a Review Ethnography Museum - Néprajzi Múzeum about Ethnography Museum - Néprajzi Múzeum in Budapest Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ethnography Museum - Néprajzi Múzeum"
Photos in BudapestSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos