"Oostende- A Day on the Flemish Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Oostende by zadunajska8

Oostende Travel Guide: 546 reviews and 1,716 photos

I visited Oostende just as a day trip in June 2012 coming all the way from my home in Sussex and back again in the one day. This made it a long day but we did get a good six hours in Oostende. Unfortunately as it was a Monday many of the museums and other attractions were closed.

But whilst the timing of our visit wasn't so lucky, we were lucky with the weather. It was a great day "to be beside the seaside" as the song goes. The beach in Oostende really is marvellous as well. It's so well maintained and clean with a beautiful stretch of golden sand. Even I, who does not really go for beaches much, could appreciate this one.

Oostende was described in the past as "the jewel of Belgium's coast" or "the Queen of Belgian resorts" and it was the home of the Belgian royal family's summer villa by the sea. The second world war saw the end of much of it's former splendour however when Allied forces levelled much of the town to prevent it being used by occupying forces as a naval base and a potential staging point for an invasion of the British Isles. Many places which rebuilt after that war ended up as monstrosities. Oostende seems to have managed to rebuild without it being quite so bad. Whilst some of the post war architecture is not as pleasing as what would have been there before, it's not as bad or shabby as what is found in many other places.

• Last visit to Oostende: Jun 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2012

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Great page Troy about a town that doesn't get the positive coverage it deserves. You're a very good writer and I like the fact that you write about the sort of smaller, places that I'm interested in visiting - no wonder you're climbing the rankings so quickly!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Lovely little page about this Belgian gem, which I once visited briefly when I was quite young. I especially like your photos of the Seamen's Memorial. Well done.

“If I haven't been there yet, then I probably want to go”

Badges & Stats in Oostende

Have you been to Oostende?