"Oostende- A Day on the Flemish Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Oostende by zadunajska8
Oostende Travel Guide: 570 reviews and 1,783 photos
I visited Oostende just as a day trip in June 2012 coming all the way from my home in Sussex and back again in the one day. This made it a long day but we did get a good six hours in Oostende. Unfortunately as it was a Monday many of the museums and other attractions were closed.
But whilst the timing of our visit wasn't so lucky, we were lucky with the weather. It was a great day "to be beside the seaside" as the song goes. The beach in Oostende really is marvellous as well. It's so well maintained and clean with a beautiful stretch of golden sand. Even I, who does not really go for beaches much, could appreciate this one.
Oostende was described in the past as "the jewel of Belgium's coast" or "the Queen of Belgian resorts" and it was the home of the Belgian royal family's summer villa by the sea. The second world war saw the end of much of it's former splendour however when Allied forces levelled much of the town to prevent it being used by occupying forces as a naval base and a potential staging point for an invasion of the British Isles. Many places which rebuilt after that war ended up as monstrosities. Oostende seems to have managed to rebuild without it being quite so bad. Whilst some of the post war architecture is not as pleasing as what would have been there before, it's not as bad or shabby as what is found in many other places.
The Wapenplein is Oostende's main square. Like the rest of the town it had to be rebuilt after the second world war and... more travel advice
The Leopold park is close to the seafront and centre of Oostende and is a pleasant place to spend a short time on a warm... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
Oostende Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "tweetycaro's Oostende Page"
- " Oostende - Home Sweet Home..."
- "patrikske's new Oostende Page"
- "The city at the Belgian coast"
- "Oostende- A Day on the Flemish Coast"
- "OOPS! - stende: Oostende by accident"
- "Oostende - Ostend - Queen of the belgian coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oostende
- Hotels in Oostende
- Transportation in Oostende
- Nightlife in Oostende
- Restaurants in Oostende
- Shopping in Oostende
- Warnings and Dangers in Oostende
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oostende
- 15 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Oostende?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oostende
- updated a Oostende Travel Page "Oostende- A Day on the Flemish Coast"
- Posted in Travel Bundesland Tirol Forum "Tickets from Innsbruck Airport to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Oostende- A Day on the Flemish Coast"
- Wrote a Review The Wapenplein and the 1958 Belfort about Wapenplein in Oostende Things to Do
- Commented on one of alectrevor's Oostende travel pages
Photos in OostendeSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos