"Mediæval Coin and Salt in Hall" Top 5 Page for this destination Hall in Tirol by zadunajska8
Hall in Tirol Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 247 photos
The centre of Hall in Tirol is just overflowing with history. Yet somehow most of the tourist crowds still seem to miss this beautiful town. Perhaps it's just because it's so close to Innsbruck and gets overshadowed by it's larger, more famous neighbour? Whatever the reason is, it's good news for the visitor who does make the journey to this little town as you'll have many of the key sights all to yourself.
Hall grew up as a salt mining town. In fact the name comes from the old German word 'Hal' which means 'salt'. And in this little town the salt was turned into gold to power the ambitions of the Habsburg rulers who would come to dominate much of Europe for centuries.
The town was granted a charter as far back as 1303 by Duke Otto, demonstrating the importance of the town even at that early stage. Later the Habsburg Archduke Ferdinand II moved his mint here in 1567, further enhancing the town's importance as the silver mined at nearby Schwaz was struck into the coin of the realm, including the famous Hall Thaler a forerunner of the dollar.
Whilst Hall is clearly no longer the powerhouse of industry that it was, and it's streets don't bustle with the importance of one of the key towns of the Habsburg Empire it is still a living and breathing town rather than a museum piece and this adds to it's authentic charm. It has a stunning town hall and a number of attractive old churches, but one of the greatest pleasures in the summer must be to sit outside in the Oberer Stadtplatz and enjoy a drink in the sunshine whilst watching the locals go about their day to day business in these extraordinarily beautiful surroundings.
The Hall Mint (Münze Hall) has a great history and Hall seems very proud of it. This is where the Habsburgs minted their... more travel advice
The Jesuit Church in Hall was established in 1571 to serve the gentlewomen at the convent on Stiftsplatz but underwent... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
Hall in Tirol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HALL IN TIROL"
- "Mediæval Coin and Salt in Hall"
- "Innsbruck's nice underrated neighbour"
- "Hall in Tirol – the medieval treasure"
- "Hall in Tirol"
- "Still not too touristy"
- "Hall in Tirol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hall in Tirol
- Hotels in Hall in Tirol
- Transportation in Hall in Tirol
- Restaurants in Hall in Tirol
- Shopping in Hall in Tirol
- Warnings and Dangers in Hall in Tirol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hall in Tirol
- 12 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Hall in Tirol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hall in Tirol
- Posted in Travel Belgium Forum "Re: Things to do"
- Commented on one of zadunajska8's Hall in Tirol tips
- updated a Hall in Tirol Travel Page "Mediæval Coin and Salt in Hall"
- Wrote a Review The Mint and Münzeturm in Hall in Tirol Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Some more favourite photos of Hall in Tirol."
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos