"Burwash, East Sussex" Burwash by zadunajska8
Burwash Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 29 photos
The village of Burwash on the A265 in East Sussex is best known for the National Trust property Bateman's just outside the village. This was the home of author Rudyard Kipling and so Kipling fans flock here on fine summer days, many of them not looking at the village itself at all, which is a shame as it's quite a nice place really.
Burwash has a history which puts it firmly in the heart of the Sussex iron industry in medieval times. There's no sign of any such industry around here now but this history is commemorated in the village sign in the High Street.
Today the Village High Street is lined with elegant looking period houses. Apparently many of these actually date back to before the 17th century but they got a make over by prosperous Georgians who gave them the current look.
The Village is also home to a pretty little church, part of which dates back to early Norman times.
Once you've seen the house at Bateman's don't even think about making a move to leave until you've had a good look... more travel advice
Outside the church of St Bartholomew in Burwash High Street is the village war memorial dedicated to the memory of the... more travel advice
zadunajska8's Related Pages
Burwash Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Burwash
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Burwash?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burwash
Photos in BurwashSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 35 reviews, 128 photos
- Brussels Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 16 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- Igls Intro, 12 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 24 reviews, 76 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos
- Ardingly Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos