"Eastbourne" Top 5 Page for this destination Eastbourne by zadunajska8

Eastbourne Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 207 photos

The Sunshine Coast Welcomes You

When you arrive in Eastbourne, either by train at the station or by road at the Borough boundary, you'll be greeted by a sign saying "The Sunshine Coast Welcomes You". And it is true, Eastbourne is the UK's Sunshine Coast with an average of 1831 hours of sunshine every year (or 5.02 hours per day) it's the sunniest place on the British mainland. Only the channel islands can ever claim to beat Eastbourne on the weather.

If you want to know what this means - all the photos on this introductory page were taken on 27th NOVEMBER!!! A gloriously warm and sunny day when I was able to take a leisurely stroll along the seafront and then go and eat a portion of chips sat at the end of the pier in the sunshine. I doubt there were many places in the UK you would have been able to do that at the end of November.

My Beautiful Hometown

I was born in Eastbourne. In fact, I was one of the first people to be born at the local district general hospital when it opened in 1977. I've moved away a couple of times since then but I've always come back because I love my town and I'm proud of it.
Eastbourne is well known as a very clean and tidy town. It's true. We do take pride in the fact that our town and seafront look better and more pleasant than other seaside towns - particularly our neighbours Brighton and Hastings.
It's an unfortunate fact that many English seaside resorts have let themselves go and their seafronts now look shabby and tatty. This is not the case in Eastbourne and it still looks as elegant and refined as it did when it was built over 100 years ago.

Change Your View

In the past (and even now) Eastbourne has been viewed as a place for old people, often nicknamed "God's waiting room". It used to be true that rich (and often unpleasant) old ladies who used to have servents in the colonies would retire to Eastbourne and the town seemed to revolve around them (or they thought it did at least).
This isn't the case now. We still have a much larger proportion of older people than the national average but there are also a lot of young people here now. The town is home to a university campus and has grown faster than any other town on the south coast in the last 20 years with young people and families moving in.
Nightlife no longer finishes with a cup of cocoa at 7pm! The clubs and pubs carry on late into the night and the town is full of trendy venues and restaurants. In fact with a young and vibrant feel and a growing contemporary arts scene (supported by the new Towner Gallery) Eastbourne has come alive in recent years. Come and see us and change your view.

• Pros:Clean and civilised town with vibrant arts scene
  • Cons:Poor road and Rail links
  • In a nutshell:No longer is it "God's waiting room"
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2011

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Eastbourne looks like a really nice place to visit, the pictures of the pier look beautiful! Good to see that it is in such a good condition.
    I also like your intro, it really shows how much you like your hometown!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

It's ages since I went to Eastbourne, I must get back there some time when I get back to UK. Looks like a good restaurant scene as well. fergy.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Hello, Troy! Your native town must be a great place to stay...I’d like to enjoy the laid back atmosphere of the Dolphin too. :-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM

My great aunt and uncle used to run a guesthouse here and I had many happy visits as a child, usually in the winter as they had no paying guests then. I can vouch for the sunshine!

I used to love the pier so it's good to see that it's been well looked-after :-) The Towner is new since my time and looks great. Like the sound of the Dolphin too!

zadunajska8

“If I haven't been there yet, then I probably want to go”

Badges & Stats in Eastbourne

Have you been to Eastbourne?

Latest Activity in Eastbourne